Betta Fish Forum banner

Severe Fin Rot-Not Improving

835 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  gossipgirl1031 
#1 ·
Hi All!

Maggie's Story:

I rescued Maggie from one of the worst cases of abuse I have seen in all the years I've been doing betta rescues. On 12/15/11 I saw this poor little girl (labeled as a male VT!) from a store. She's clearly not a male and may not even be a VT, could be PK. She practically didn't have any fins left and the edges were all quite dark. The water was so filthy, she could barely be seen. I couldn't leave her, so I decided to try to help her.

Turns out she is quite the fighter! I finished her first course of AQ salt 100% water changes a few days ago and I've recently started her on medicated food. She has been in a small QT since she doesn't swim great. She's well fed, heated and her tank is very clean all the time. I'm not noticing much new growth (I know it can take some time). And her pectoral fins are now missing some chunks. She has no tankmates and nothing sharp in her tank. Basically, what should I do now? Give her time? More AQ salt since the pec fin problem didn't stat until a couple of days ago? I'm going to post a pic from her first days and a more recent video as soon as it uploads. Any thoughts as to what this is and what I can do for her are much appreciated! Thanks so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
That was her old QT, I've added some plants now and a little leaf hammock that she likes to hang out on.

This was taken a few days ago

#3 ·
How is she acting....swimming, eating, responding to you...etc....no clamped fins, buoyancy issues, flashing, lethargic...etc......just fins that are tattered-not discolored and crusty.....

You completed a 10 day aquarium salt treatment-correct...what salt dosage and what was the tannin source/amount.

What size tank, filter, live plants, water temp, additives-how much how often on the water changes, type and amount of food...

#4 ·
Other than her messed up fins, she's happy! Always comes to investigate when I walk by or come up to her tank. She's alert and swims in her "special" way. I think her spine may have some damage because of the rot. No buoyancy problems. She has what I'm guessing to be juvenile stripes since she shows no other signs of stress. Her fins are still very tattered, but I'm noticing less darkening of the edges. Slight new growth (but not much).

I followed the dosage on the box for the AQ salt and only used 1/2 rounded tsp w/Start Right (dechlorinator) to the gallon. 100% water changes for 10 days. I didn't have the IAL (they are ordered and on their way from overseas). Finished just after Christmas and I'm changing almost 100% of her water every 3 days now. Just with Start Right. She's coaxed into a cup with a brine shrimp net so as not to harm her further.

Her tank holds at 78-79 degrees with an under tank heater. She has gravel as her substrate but nothing sharp. A silk plant and a betta hammock leaf closer to the surface to let her rest her back (and she does use it). No live plants. She had been on NLS, but last night I started her on Jungle's antibacterial food. 2 pellets broken up twice a day.

Mags is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Since she is otherwise acting okay and eating well and the fin edges are not crusty...its just a matter of time...the hardest part...lol.....

I am assuming the tank is maybe 1-3gal from the pic...no filter correct....

What I would do now-is clean dechlorinated water treatment and once you get the IAL add one to tan the water and this will help toughen her fins/scales along with the antibacterial/fungal properties.

In a 1-3gal unfiltered tank I would make twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality...you don't want to over stress her with too many water changes...its a balance....its important to have bacteria in safe levels in order for her to develop antibodies for a strong immune response-but not so many that is compromises health since this is a closed system.

The stripes are a form of communication and camo...not always meaning stress-generally when stressed they will show other signs along with the stripes.

It can take several weeks to months for full regrowth of fins and this can vary based on damage, how long damaged, age, genetics, overall health among other things and nutrition....nutrition being really important to promote healing and regrowth...small frequent meals of good quality varied diet one being high protein....since you have already started her on the antibiotic food I would complete the course per direction and then get her on a good diet...

She is a lovely Betta by the way....

#6 ·
Thanks!

I have a 2.5 gallon tank already purchased for her after I was pretty certain she was going to make it and had completed all of her medication. The new tank will have filtration (we'll see how she does with the flow of that) and a regular heater with more soft silk plants and a little cave. I may set up levels with more of those leaf hammocks and go up in levels. With each water change, I'll add a little more water. I'm happy to hear that I'm doing all I can for her & that she is improving. It'll be a wait and see game to see what her fins come back as. As soon as the IAL arrives, I'll add them and hope they help. I'm supposed to give the medicated food for 5-10 days and then switch back to NLS.

Thanks so much for everything!

#7 ·
Turns out on top of the rot that she had (which is clearing up)-I think she's a tail biter! She had some newer growth on her tail and then yesterday it was gone (could see where it was ripped off). There wasn't much to begin with and now it's less. Her ventral and dorsal fins so far are keeping their growth. How can I help her not want to do that. Wouldn't it be painful for her? Was she so badly damaged that her nerves may also be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.