Betta Fish Forum banner

CANADIANS: want to adopt a cull?

6K views 65 replies 19 participants last post by  BlueMoonBetta 
#1 ·
This is NOT an official adoption thread; I just wanted to start it now to gauge interest.

I'm working with a breeder who's interested in adopting out some of the healthy non-sale-quality fish from his next spawn, who would otherwise be culled. The adopting-out won't happen until late this year/early next year due to the fact that he's just finishing up two spawns, but I'm looking to gauge an interest to see if it's viable.

A general overview:

- You have to live in Canada, or at the very least have a location in Canada to which your fish can be shipped (as the breeder and I are Canadian-- the biggest reason we wanted to try this is because it's more difficult, in my experience, to find Canadian breeders, and even more difficult to find breeders who want to adopt out culls, for those of you bleeding-hearts who are into adoptions).

- These fish will be FREE except for SHIPPING COSTS. If it's enormously expensive to ship to your area, we might be able to work something out.

- However, the evident catch: these fish are culls. We will only be adopting out fish when it's humane to do so, and when we believe they can live a quality life, so you won't be getting anything on the brink of death. HOWEVER, as they are culls and non-sale-quality, they may have cosmetic issues, such as fin defects. They may also have HEALTH issues, such as chronic SBD, spine abnormalities, or vision problems. We will always specify why the fish was a potential cull to the best of our ability, so you'll be able to pick a fish whose needs are suited to your capabilities.

- The breeder has specified that these fish can only be adopted if you have NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER of breeding them. I think that goes without saying.

Anyway, now that the messy rule stuff is out of the way-- would any of my fellow Canadians be interested in this? You don't have to sign a contract or anything, I just want to get an idea of how many we'll be able to adopt out.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you've got a transhipper, sure, maybe we could figure it out! I've never dealt with cross-border shipping but I'd be willing to try.

#10 ·
Fantastic! :)

@Silverfang: I expect there'll be fish with issues that are only cosmetic, so if you'd like a girl with some weirdo fins I'm sure we could accommodate that. :) We're going to try very hard to specify why exactly the fish was a potential cull for every adoptee, so you'll be able to pick a fish that's right for you. There's a possibility we might also be actually SELLING a few fish, too-- I'm getting six HMPK females from his last spawn at a reduced price, and they're perfectly healthy but he had a harder time selling the girls than he did with the boys, just because, you know, this is Canada.

@Olympia: I believe they'll either be plakats or deltas-- he hasn't picked the pair yet, but he's set on doing a spawn as soon as the little ones from his last spawn are old enough to sell.

#57 ·
Hi,
i've been interested in bettas since I was a kid. I started breeding back in 2009 but failed the first time and gave up. I later came back to the hobby in 2011 and decided to be more serious about it and having everything sorted out.

-I now breed plakats, and hmpk

I have plakat fighters a few culls.
I have another super blue hmpk spawn with another show quality Super Red hmpk spawn
Expect them to be ready in 3 months.

My prices vary depending on quality. I will not sell sick fish. Culls are only given if they meet my standards. Broken spine, for example will not do. Just like any breeder I am skeptical of giving away any culls. This is my responsibility to keep the hobby healthy and growing and not have anyone breed pet store quality fish.

Usually a pair is $20-30
at the moment my super blue, royal blue, steel blue hmpk females are $8 each.

current plakat fighters are- $5 females $10-15 males

-now you guys know more about me I hope you can give your trust to Underdebate.

#13 ·
Sure, not a problem! I'll PM you his email address. He currently has a spawn that's three months old, so that might work for your sorority timeline.

#17 ·
So for anyone who was waiting on more info: I got to meet the breeder in person yesterday, and he's a wonderful guy. :) It's always a little strange meeting people who you've only ever talked to via email and know very little about, but luckily he was really great-- he's just a bit older than me (ie. just going into college), and he's been breeding for four years now. He showed me my girls and then showed me around his breeding room while he was getting them ready for travel, which was a lot of fun. (BABY FISH. Okay, as someone who's never actually seen a baby betta in person, much less HUNDREDS OF THEM, it was neat.)

Currently he's got two spawns that are still very very little-- one is under a month, and the other was just hatched last week. I don't know their colours, but they're both plakat spawns-- as they grow out he's going to keep me updated, and I'll in turn keep you all updated. The number of people who confirm they'd like to adopt will probably determine the number of culls he saves for me (and obviously I'm considering one or two of my own, buuut :)).

And for anyone who's interested in actually buying non-cull fish: he also introduced me to the parents of his next spawn, two absolutely STUNNING super-blue plakats. Seriously, these fish were amazing. (I might've actually drooled a bit). He won't be spawning them for a little while, but oh my god, believe me, if the parents are any indication he's going to be selling off some lookers.

#19 ·
We're in southern Ontario! (He's in Mississauga, I'm in Burlington.) Just, you know, a little while away from Alberta. :)

Once he gives me the culls I'll be handling shipping though, as I really doubt there'll be many people who are local and interested in adopting. I know shipping prices can get rather steep, though, so I'm trying to figure something out for that-- I might be willing to cover part of the cost if it's absolutely ridiculous.

#21 ·
Oh yes, we've got you here too! :) Thanks for the info-- I was kind of, you know, starry-eyed over all the tiny little fishies, so I completely forgot to ask what type they were.

#23 ·
Yeah it is 40 to 50 shipping in summer and up to or more than 60 in winter... I got a few shipped to me from ontario LOL.

#24 ·
I've got a few resources for money-collecting-- mostly, you know, bleeding hearts like myself who are more than willing to chip in a few bucks to help give a betta a good home. (Plus there might be a few of that type here on the forum, it wouldn't surprise me. :)) Hopefully I should be able to do some shipping before winter hits-- I know $50 is really expensive, but depending on how absolutely broke any potential adopters are, I can cover some of that, and I'll probably start a donation pool at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.