Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Splenden Complex Group Collection

12K views 105 replies 8 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
So im starting my collection of bettas from the splenden complex group. First pair is Wild Imbellis(witch i already have). Second pair is Wild Guitar Smaragdina (Buying at the moment) Third will be Mahachai(searching for it) and last Wild Splenden full blood from the wild(also Searching) this will be my collection. I will post picture when i have the whole set

#3 ·
Hard to find purebred mahachai and splendens nowadays. I see all these mahachai being sold as pure on AB and they don't look all that pure to me. Sad to think they were only just recognised as an official species and yet they have been allowed to heavily hybridise.

Have you considered also adding stiktos to your collection? I believe they are a recognised species of the splendens complex but seem like the others, to be very difficult to find in their pure form.

#6 ·
Good luck with your plans. I am trying acquire as many breeding pairs of coccina complex species as I can. It's hard as quarantine regulations are so strict here and hardly anyone bothers importing them in. They would rather just go through the wholesaler who can't guarantee pairs.

Your imbellis male is really nice (if that is him in your display picture). One of the nicest examples I have seen for a while.

#11 · (Edited)
Here are some wild betta splendens i bought
View attachment 68420

View attachment 68421

View attachment 68422

correct me if i'm wrong.
first picture guy might be a splenden mix for sure
sorry, but i dont think those are wild they may have wild blood in them but they dont show any characteristic that says they are wild. As you can see my picture (my wild caught Splenden) the dorasl fin has stripes witch indicates wild and wild bettas are much lighter

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
#31 ·
these still would require a minimum of 10g tank? id love to get a wild betta but i dont think i can find a place for the tank.

#32 ·
I kept three imbellis in a 12x12x12 inch tank that was heavily planted up with java moss and provided plenty of hiding space. They got along fine aside from the occasional display and sparring match.

However, for a smaller pair of wild bettas I always think 10 gallons is a good starting point. Wild bettas can get tetchy with each other (particularly pre-spawning) and so you want the space for them to be able to get away from each other. Also if they do breed and you can't get all the fry out, it gives you some wriggle room in regards to maintaining water quality and giving the fry somewhere to hide.

#49 ·
I kept three imbellis in a 12x12x12 inch tank that was heavily planted up with java moss and provided plenty of hiding space. They got along fine aside from the occasional display and sparring match.

However, for a smaller pair of wild bettas I always think 10 gallons is a good starting point. Wild bettas can get tetchy with each other (particularly pre-spawning) and so you want the space for them to be able to get away from each other. Also if they do breed and you can't get all the fry out, it gives you some wriggle room in regards to maintaining water quality and giving the fry somewhere to hide.
thank you, looks like wild betta will remain a dream for me. no space for a 10g. though its a very nicely colored betta.

#39 ·
Oh okay, so the wilds have a lot less iridesence on the body?

EDIT: I dont see the difference in the caudal fins :( could you explain please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.