Betta Fish Forum banner

empty tank :(

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
So I can't stand the sight of an empty tank in my room it just makes me miss Cosmo more. I don't want to just run out and replace him with another betta... I kind of feel like that would be disrespecting his space. I feel the same way about putting Captain in Cosmos old tank. My plan is to get another larger tank, maybe 2.5 gallons or so for Captain and do something else with the 5 gallon. I don't know if I have the heart to go buy another betta right now, so I was thinking some other smaller tropical freshwater fish. Any suggestions???

#4 ·
You can also change up the decor in the tank so it looks different. I'm so sorry you lost your fish.

#5 ·
It's not replacing him. I had a halfmoon die and about a week later I saw one JUST LIKE him and I HAD TO HAVE HIM. Not to replace him but just to have someone to remind me of him and remember the good times :)

#7 ·
I agree with everyone, bettas are wonderful fish and you shouldn't feel guilty about getting a new one. Yea, change the decorations and plants and stuff so it won't even look llike the same tank. Get a betta that looks completley different if you want.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the suport:) I think I'm just going to put the tank away for awhile and maybe start looking again when I move back up to school in the fall. Sorry my posts have been so depressing, but its really nice to talk to people who understand that its not "just a fish."

#12 ·
To be honest, people who think they can go and 'replace' things, especially pets, so easily are rather heartless. It's like... there's no attachment or feeling and they never cared what would happen to it in the first place.

): Reminds me of the time I bought Shota and I had the 3 gallon tank with me and a whole bunch of other necessities and the lady in front of me was also buying a betta just had a tiny bowl, food and conditioner with a lovely scarlet veil tail betta. I decided to make small talk with her about bettas and she was like "Oh they make a great accessory for my work desk, it's really relaxing. See this cute little black tank? I bought some red gravel and it'll be soooo cute." And I felt really bad for her little fish that was happily flailing around in his cup. It's really disgusting when people call themselves human but treat other living creatures like things.

But anyway, I think as long as you acknowledge you the fact you love your fish and are merely looking to just buy another fish to love and adore equally, there's no problem with that :)

#13 ·
Yeah. People may say they're "just a stupid fish, get over it" i say, "yeah they may be a fish, but they're my pets and I love them. They deserved to be cared and loved. Not something you dont care about and feed it whenever you rememeber." These fish aren't like any others. :)

When i got Squirt, August 23, 2008, he came with another betta, Nemo. He was orange-reddish and he was so adorable. I kept them up on my shelfs in tiny 1/2 gallon tanks. And of course its really hard to have little pets with cats. So Nemo was on the lowest shelf, Squirt was on the next highest. And i was out with my friend seeing twilight at the theaters. And when i got home i got the sad news. My cat jumped up onto the shelf, knocked Nemo down, and bit him, killing him on November 30th 2008. I cried soooo bad. So i had Squirt for the rest of the year, and half of 2009. Then i got Leo, cosmo, then gurgle. I still miss Nemo so much, and no fish that i got would ever replace Nemo. But i still have Squirt thankfully. And i will always remember Nemo...

#14 ·
The person that made the "its not made of gold" comment really doesn't have compassion and she claims to be a big animal lover. Her dog is 11 years old, looks like a ragamuffin, doesn't get groomed regularly and often smells bad. She's too cheap to keep the dog up and the dog is such a sweetheart. I really feel sorry for the dog. The dog also has bladder problems and her owner goes out all day, leaving the dog in the house for hours before she gets home and lets her out. Its no wonder the dog is starting to pee in the house. Sorry for the rant! lol

#15 ·
WHAT???? O_O
Omg that's horrible!!! How could anyone do that to their dog?! I think that if my dog died, a part of me would die with her! (6 1/2 year old Maltese). =/

But on to the main point of the topic... I don't think I have anything more to add on since everyone else seems to have already given great advice :) Just wait it out and get a betta when you're ready.

#16 ·
Thank you so much for the advice!!!! You don't know how much it helps:) I know I'll get another one I just don't know when.

Question about the tank: obviously I'm going to clean it out really well and replace all the gravel before I put another fish in it but what about the filter? Does the tank need to be cycled again since I'm taking everything out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.