Betta Fish Forum banner

New betta missing eye

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  shinybetta 
#1 · (Edited)
So me and my girlfriend were at petco and saw a double tail halfmoon(is a halfmoon double tail even possible?) in pretty bad shape by the way he swims he seems to have bloat he will go vertical sometimes and float sideways at the top of his container like if hes dead but he isnt swollen around his belly he has a missing eye but it seems he lost it awhile ago because it seems to be mostly healed he eats hes not as active as my other bettas but he does swim around and seems to be fine I have him in a half gallon with aquarium salt what else should I do I will attach pics asap his gills seem to be a little swollen and he looks a little poofy near his tail. we've named him captin jack sparrow :p

#2 ·
Yes, a DT HM is possible, there are also DT VT. The double tail is caused by a gene that makes the lower body of the fish be mirrored by the upper. So, the dorsal fin of any DT is actually a reflection of the anal. If he's not bloated (at least I think that's what I understand) I'm sure he's suffering of swim bladder disorder, a common suffering in double tails. DT tend to have a shorter body that a single tailed betta, so their swim bladder is prone to have some problems. If it's genetic, there's not much you can do. A fish can live with this disorder for a long time and is not affected by it a great deal. But, you could try to help him with the swelling adding some Epsom salt to the water (1tsp per gallon) for 10 days and see how it works. Also, once the treatment is over, move him to a bigger tank (2.5 gallon would be great). Fish with swim bladder disorder tend to either only float on the top not being able to dive, or stay always on the bottom not being capable of floating. They can't find their balance. Try to give him lots of plants and caves to help him get "attached" to the surface or the bottom. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.