Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Need suggestion of something aquarium safe to use as cross bar support for 40 gallon

My hood and light just came today. Rather than spend what would have been over $100 to cover and light my 40 gallon breeder I decided to go with a 36 inch hood and that will cover most of the tank and to fill in the rest with a heavy grade plexiglass I have that was free. However, the plastic part where you'd normally put in filters and such is a little thin and the plexiglass while stiff is heavy. I've been told plexiglass bows over time. Thus I want to find something really strong, thin and flat to straddle across the aquarium to support both.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #2 
JDM

The plexiglass only bows due to being unsupported over the span. If the plastic cross piece is the same as most other tanks and the plexiglass is supported on three sides as well then it will not be a problem. If you were terribly concerned about it you could cut a plexi strip and glue it perpendicular to the main piece to make a long T assembly and this vertical piece would allow more rigidity and provide a handle handle to lift the plexi with. Caveat, it would also make it heavier.

I am assuming that the issue with the breeder tank is that it is maybe 18" wide instead of 12" so the entire length of the tank has an open gap that you are trying to cover at the front or the rear.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #3 
MoneyMitch

might of been better to just get one that fitted instead of messing with what you have laying around, might have been cheaper and less of a headache in the longrun. some things I do DIy, others ill throw down a little extra cash to know it works and wont bother me again
MoneyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I have about 6 inches of space to fill in the rear. It doesn't have a cross piece so I want to add one just to be sure the plexiglass doesn't sag in the long run. So I am trying to think of something thin, sturdy and aquarium safe to function as a cross bar. Do the cross bars come off in aquariums that have one? Just wondering.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #5 
iamgray

What about glass? Although for some reason i'm having trouble picturing exactly what you're talking about... maybe glass is just on my mind because I recently re-did my tank with glass bracing and it worked very well.
iamgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #6 
JDM

If it is only a 6" gap and the tank has the typical plastic trim top with the ledge then the piece is supported for it's full length on one side and both ends. You really don't need to worry about the little bit of sag that you might see on that small of an unsupported piece. The thicker the plexi the less it will sag anyway and you said it was heavy so it's got to be at least 1/4" thick.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #7 
Injdog

Don't know what you might have available locally. Here in Hawaii our hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) carries, what we call jelousy glass. It's 4" wide and comes in various lengths. Bought a used 125 (all glass with plastic top frame w/ no cross braces) that popped out an end panel. Used these at both ends and two in center to add support front to back. They even cut to odd lengths for free. Worked like a charm.

just my .02
Injdog is offline   Reply With Quote