Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Snails moving my divider...

GAH! So, I have two apple snails in my divided 20g long. One betta and one snail on each side. Well, apparently last night the snails decided to make a break for it...and crossed the divider. But they didn't slide up and over the divider...they just pushed at it until they moved it away from the side of the aquarium and then slid on across.

And in the course of this process, both the bettas got together for a good ol'fashioned betta fight. :P Fortunately, everyone is still alive...but Beryl's tail is a shredded mess.

Has anyone else had this happen before? I'd really rather not glue the divider in, but I also don't want this to occur regularly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether or not this was a one time thing...or if it could be a frequent occurrence? :P I've never had snails before, so I'm not sure how active they usually are.

Information is welcome!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 
Jennifer Vazquez

I had that happen as well. I have 3 mystery snails in my 55gal divided tank. It's divided into three. I only had this problem with one of my snails. It kept climbing into the middle section and searching out the other snail and hitching a ride on it's shell. I had to detach it from the other snail 3 times. The last time I moved the snail from the middle to the complete opposite side from the other, and put the one that was not being searched for in the middle. That was about a month ago, and since then I haven't had any problems . I also built up the bottom with more aq gravel to make it a little steadier. Maybe if the tank is not completely full you can tape the top of the divider to the sides of the tank , where there is no water.
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #3 
peachii

You could put some rocks beside the divider at the bottom and use like a paperclip at the top (not paperclip but some kind of metal clip to hold it in place) my dividers we ordered came with the clips but i don't know what to call them.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

Ahh, good idea. I wonder if I put them together if they'd stop moving the divider...I don't want them to be lonely! If they're happier living together, that's more than all right by me. :) I didn't think they'd care. :)

And I'll try to rig up some sort of clip for the side...I'd be a binder clip could be converted somehow, so I'll try that as well. :)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #5 
peachii

Could be they are trying to get to eat other to mate.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

I wondered about that. Is there any way to tell if their gender? Also, they're two different colors (blue and yellow) is one color dominant over the other? Just curious. :)

If they do mate, I know they lay eggs...do I need to do anything in particular with the resulting offspring? Like separate them, feed them something in particular...things like that? Any special care, or just let them do their thing?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #7 
peachii

There is a way to tell gender but I'm not very good at it. To get my dark purple footed mystery snails to mate I just threw all 7 of them into the same 10 gallon for 2 months and finally have eggs, pretty sure I had all females in there until 2 weeks ago when I found one that I had forgotten I had put into the bedroom. I had signifacantly less dark colored ones than light colored ones so really wanted these to breed.

If you want babies (or alot more snails) then if they do successfully breed then she will need about an inch above the water line that is clear of water so she can crawl up there and lay the eggs, if it's to full she may just crawl around and find a way out of the tank. An inch works for me because it forces her to stop and move, leaving smaller clutches up there to regulate how many snails hatch a bit. I let 3 small (less than 3/4 of an inch big) clutches hatch and have well over 100 baby mystery snails that are smaller than a pea at the moment. After you get the number you want, just scrape the eggs off the aquarium and throw them away if you don't want them to hatch, and then keep an eye every week up there so you can remove any eggs that might pop up if you don't want hundreds of surprise mystery snails. I almost missed a huge clutch in my 29 gallon but found it in time, 3 more days and I would have had hundreds more snails to deal with. I'm going to start culling colors soon, to get them a managable number to be able to grow a bit and sell with my plants. Probably going to give half of them away to people that want them.

Colorwise, you'd probably get some blue, some yellow and maybe some blue/yellow striped - plus if they came from a mix of color somewhere down the line you could have another off color thrown in also. Half of my light footed purple snails look to be a beautiful ivory right now but as I found out with the last batch, as they get bigger the purple color could develop later with time.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #8 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I wondered about that. Is there any way to tell if their gender? Also, they're two different colors (blue and yellow) is one color dominant over the other? Just curious. :)

If they do mate, I know they lay eggs...do I need to do anything in particular with the resulting offspring? Like separate them, feed them something in particular...things like that? Any special care, or just let them do their thing?
My Mysteries (apples) like the company of each other and don't seem to like being separated . They will lay egg clutches above the water line. Usually 100-300 eggs. Scrape the eggs and throw them away unless you want more snails than you can shake a stick at. You can tell male from female when they are being romantic.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Okay, good to know. I haven't seen any eggs, so I think I've got two of the same gender...whatever that is. ;) I've put them both on the same side of the divider, and so far so good. :)