Betta Fish Forum banner

checking in

911 views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Picasso84 
#1 ·
Hey guys, how is it going?

Two days ago I purchased a 10 gallon tank with gravel, filter, water conditioner, and Japanese themed accesories for my tank. I rinsed the tank and set everything up and let the filter run for roughly 24 hours. The next day I went to petsmart and purchased a tthm betta, 3 neon tetra, 3 Dalmatian mollys, and a clown sucker fish (don't know the real name). Everything looks good and everyone is getting along so far but did I make a wise move by placing those fish with my betta?

#2 ·
Not really.

Neon tetras need to be in groups of 6. 6 neons and a betta fully stocks a 10 gallon.
Mollies (in my opinion) get too large for a ten gallon, and three would fully stock one. Although they can live in fresh water, they do much better in brackish, which would not be nice for the other fish.
The sucker fish is a serious problem. Without identification, it could be anything from a bristlenose pleco, which get 6 inches long, have a large bioload and need a 20 gallon, to a Chinese Algae Eater, which also get large and grow very aggressive as they age. Can you post a photo?

I would strongly recommend taking the mollies and the catfish back and buying three more neons. However, I wouldn't buy the new neons until the tank is cycled. Cycling is the process of growing good bacteria in your filter. Without these, the filter is only partially effective. The cycling process takes about 6 weeks, done fishlessly, more with fish-in.

By adding all the fish at once you may cause an ammonia spike, which could harm your fish, so keep a very close eye on ammonia levels with a liquid testing kit and do as many changes as necessary.

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh. It isn't meant to be. :) We all make mistakes when we start out, particularly when taking advice from petshops. In future, though, always research or ask here before committing to buy, as there are many factors, some of which I haven't mentioned, that need to be taken into account when buying fish. :)

#7 ·
10 gallon tank is more than likely temporary, my wife and I wanted to see how well we did then upgrade to like a 30+ gal tank. I had a betta in the past named bobby that lived in a vase with a live plant for about 5 years previously so I was kinda attached to bettas.

#9 ·
I will look into upgrading asap, as soon as I got home I noticed I was missing 2 fish. A molly and tetra, I moved things around to see if they were hiding but no leads. I fed the fish to see if they would eat and they ate all the food given to them

#12 ·
Just a real quick question.. My betta was swimming around a lot and now he just kinda floats around the top. In these last few days I lost 3 neon tetras, 2 were found stuck on the outside of the filter and the other vanished. I haven't changed the water since I set up the tank, so maybe poor water conditions and I think I need to purchase a heater .. ill post up picks up of my set up and my betta

#13 ·
You definitely need a heater and a thermometer. The temperature should be around 78 F. Your tank is going through the cycling process. Just google "aquarium nitrogen cycle" and you'll find lots of info. You need to buy a test kit, and change the water when you see any ammonia or nitrites.

#16 ·
+1. Your betta looks to me like he has fin rot. I'd be doing a 50% change twice a week or more, and adding StressCoat in additio n to your normal water conditioner.

I'd definitely suggest getting an API master test kit so you can accurately measure levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

#17 ·
Thanks for the help guys... As soon as I read your post I did a 50% water change. Went to pets mart and bought Top Fin Betta water conditioner, Api stress zyme, and Stress coat. I also picked up a thermometer and heater. As soon as I changed the water and it was around 78 degrees, he became more lively again. He is still eating well, I also got him some dried blood worms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.