Betta Fish Forum banner

I have questions that I need answered. PLEASE HELP :)

699 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cjayBetta 
#1 ·
K so I have a few questions I need answered and I can't find the answer's for them online. I am still fairly new to fish keeping and I feel like I'm doing things wrong.

1. 5g filtered, what kind of water changes should I be doing?
2. 1.5g unfiltered, what kind of water changes should i be doing?
3. Windu has been scratching his gills and I can't figure out why. There is nothing wrong with im when I look at him and he ONLY does it when I COME in the room. Windu is in my husbands office and my husband watched him for like 3 hours while he was doing work and he didn't do it once but every time I come in the room he does that... in the SAME corner every single time. I don't get it? Is he just excited to see me?
4.CoCo has been tail biting again (he has done this since I bought him)
and I wanted to know how long to do AQsalt treatment.
5. I am buying CoCo a new home (3.7g filtered) and it has a undergravel filter... How many water changes should I do for this?

Thankz in advanced guys!

#2 ·
1,5 gallon should probably have a 50% change weekly. The one scratching it self in the same spot only when u walk in, at first i though, well ya it only does it when u walk in its the only time you see it!! but u had someone else watch it. I would say Itch but it only does it when you there. what other fish is Coco with in what size tank??

#5 ·
K so I have a few questions I need answered and I can't find the answer's for them online. I am still fairly new to fish keeping and I feel like I'm doing things wrong.

1. 5g filtered, what kind of water changes should I be doing?

2. 1.5g unfiltered, what kind of water changes should i be doing?

3. Windu has been scratching his gills and I can't figure out why. There is nothing wrong with im when I look at him and he ONLY does it when I COME in the room. Windu is in my husbands office and my husband watched him for like 3 hours while he was doing work and he didn't do it once but every time I come in the room he does that... in the SAME corner every single time. I don't get it? Is he just excited to see me?

4.CoCo has been tail biting again (he has done this since I bought him)
and I wanted to know how long to do AQsalt treatment.

5. I am buying CoCo a new home (3.7g filtered) and it has a undergravel filter... How many water changes should I do for this?

Thankz in advanced guys!
If the tank is fully cycled then a 50% water once/twice weekly would be fine :)

In my opinion on a tank of that size I would be performing 100% daily water changes every other day

I'm not too sure about this one, usually when a fish rubs himself up against deco, substrate etc it often means they have a parasite. If it persists then get plenty of aeration in the water and crank up the temp to about 85-87f but gradually do it over a few days, eventually the ich will die and then you just perform a 50% water change, making sure you vaccum the gravel too as that's where it will likely drop too.

I had this problem with 2 of my betta's, tail biting is usually from boredom or stress, just like a human biting their nails. What I do and most people tend to do is just add things around the outside of the tank and change around or add new deco :)

IMO, under gravel filters don't work as well as a hang on filter,etc they tend to get clogged a lot from my experience but if you are going to be fully cycling the tank then 50% twice weekly would suffice :)
Hope this helps :)

#7 ·
I'm not too sure about this one, usually when a fish rubs himself up against deco, substrate etc it often means they have a parasite. If it persists then get plenty of aeration in the water and crank up the temp to about 85-87f but gradually do it over a few days, eventually the ich will die and then you just perform a 50% water change, making sure you vaccum the gravel too as that's where it will likely drop too.
The only problem with this answer is that he ONLY does it when I'm in the room... When i creep in the room and just like... peek my head in, he is at the top swimmin around, being a fish.... BUT as soooooon as he sees me... he does it. I really dont get it.

#6 ·
I think he's asking if Coco is in with other fish? and what size tank is he in?

I just heard the more water changes the better, so I do a change on my 5g. everytime I do the 2.5g's..also I'm like well my stuff is already out..so y not.
I do one change water only and one change with the gravel vac.

I do my 2.5g.'s twice weekly, so I assume a smaller tank is more..I'm sorry I dunno how much more?

Good luck with ur fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.