Betta Fish Forum banner

Feeding Cory Cats With Bettas

8K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  fishman12 
#1 ·
I'm planning on putting my four panda cory cats in with my sorority soon but I'm a little worried for a few reasons. One is the cories are still pretty small, only an inch long so I worry about them getting lost in the bigger tank or getting picked on. Also, I'm not sure about feeding them. My girls are gluttons, I'm afraid they'll eat all the cories' food and get bloated. I know you're supposed to feed the pandas at lights out but my girls never seem to sleep. Any tips would be appreciated. Should I leave my cories in their quarantine tank until they're bigger or not put them in at all?

#2 ·
For the cats, feed them a sinking pellet. That is what I did with my cats and they did great (now living in my mom's tank). Just toss the pellet in and turn off the light. Should work just fine. Most of the time bettas don't like to eat off the bottom.

#4 ·
If it is taking them all night to eat, are there still leftovers in the morning? If that is the case, you are definitely overfeeding. You can always break the pellets in half. I had 4 cats and they got one pellet a night. I broke them in half and sometimes only gave them half. Other times I would still break it in half so it dissolved faster.

#14 ·
I used to feed 2 pellets for 5-6 corys. Remember the golden rule: a hungry fish is a happy fish! I used to feed Hikari, the ones that had a picture of a cory on the front. Not sure of the name.

Plus, unlike bettas, corys have no problem sharing their food. They are just such lovely, friendly creatures!

#15 ·
My coreys are only about in inch, and they stand up to my girls. I cant count the number of times one of them has shot up from the bottom to gut check one of my girlys...

#19 ·
It's true, though, they really do leave finprints! :) I have the same sand in my sorority and it's perfectly smooth but in the cory tank, it's all covered in little dents the shape of their pectorals. Well, tomorrow I'm putting them in the sorority so we'll see how it goes.

#21 ·
So far so good in the sorority. I added in my fifth girl yesterday and she settled right in so I think I have a full house of girls. The cories are in there now too as of this morning. So far so good there, too. They're just scuttling around leaving new finprints. They're happy to be in a big 10g instead of their tiny 2.5g quarantine tank. I think I may get 2 more cories. They're so darn small I keep losing them. How's Quicksilver doing with his cories?

#27 ·
Put it in a bucket and run hose water into it until the bucket is full, then dump the water out. Kind of squish the sand around every now and then. Repeat until the water you're dumping out runs clear or close to clear. Otherwise, the sand will cloud up your tank like crazy.

#28 ·
My silly sorority won't let my cories eat. They're swarming all over the place, even carrying the wafers around in their mouths. They're fighting over the food, too, which isn't good, since they WERE getting along. And technically, it's lights out too (ie, tank light was turned off but a room light is still on). :( If I can't figure out how to feed my cories when they're in the sorority, I'll have to return them because I don't have a tank large enough for them to be happy in except the 10g. I mean, they're teeny guys and I think they could live fine in a small tank size-wise but they need more space to roam to be happy.

#29 ·
When I first saw the title I thought you were going to feed bettas to the cory cats >.<

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.