Betta Fish Forum banner

new petco babies! :0

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  shoelace 
#1 ·
So my boyfriend and I were in petco last night right before they closed, and I saw a greenish baby I really fell in love with, who wasn't even THAT small, most of them were a decent size and their colors were starting to come in. But then I saw the most pathetic derp ever it was so sad D':
It was just a little weenie sitting in the bottom of his cup not moving, he was a lot smaller and less colored than the rest and I just felt so bad for him... So I got them both!

I've been feeding them First Bites, and they're actually eating it! At first the tiny one wouldn't eat, and I was nervous he'd be dead when I woke up this morning, but he was actually doing awesome and eating! I think because of the heater.
I just bought some frozen baby brine this morning so I'll see if they want some of that today since they don't seem to have a problem with non live food.
Here they are! Derp 1 and Derp 2!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hahahahahaa! Derp 1 and Derp 2 I love it! They look pretty skinny, especially the second one! Get them nice and fat and I'm sure they'll turn out to be beautiful!

#4 ·
Yeah, please keep us updated!
Frozen Baby brine should help them fatten up, has a lot of nutritional content, I'd feed it atleast a couple times a week. Also, I know you said they are eating first bites, but crushing regular pellets might be more nutritional than the hikari, and they look like they need all they can get.
Goodluck!!

#6 ·
Thanks guys! The only problem I'm having so far is that without the divider in the tank, the little one Derp 2 gets really uncomfortable looking. But, the divider the tank came with, is totally black opaque. The plastic mesh I have and used for another betta tank divider I made has too big a grid for the babes. So what I'm getting at is.. with the divider in the heater only fits on one side at a time and gets one side pretty warm and nice but the other side's a little colder, so I swap it back and forth from time to time.

They're doing good though, eating a lot, being fatties. Typical babies.. lol

#8 ·
If you add a bubbler or a filter of some sort it will help circulate the heat. Just a thought

#9 ·
Both of the babies have horizontal stripes... which means they're stressed correct? Is it because I change the water 100% every night?
They're in a half gallon heated rectangular long tank, with an opaque separator... Do I need to get them a bigger tank? I only have them in this because they're such pipsqueaks right now but I don't want them to be unhappy D:

#10 ·
not always, babies normally keep stress stripes for the first couple months as part of their camoflauge to hide from bigger fish.
I would still do the water changes if you keep them in the tank they are in. If possible I would think about moving them though, just because of growth stunting hormones and that they need really clean warm water to keep their growth rate up.

#12 ·
Oh that's good to hear. haha I really feel like they're my children, I get so concerned. Maybe I'll size up and get another 2.5 gallon mini tank for them soon. Since I got them so last minute and late at night, the only thing I could find was the .5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.