Betta Fish Forum banner

male doest want breed

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
this time i conditioned them a little better. my female is ready 'cause she has vertical bars. my male is just flaring and not making a bubble nest. I know it takes a while but do you think my male is too old.

#3 ·
Where did you get the male from? Most chain stores like Wal-mart, Pet Co., Pet Supermarket and PetSmart often tend to get their males on the old side so they will have 'full-size and finnage.' While this may look nice in a cup, it is not the best time for a male to breed, many are already well past their prime by then.It is entirely possible the male will be too old and not interested in breeding.
However, he may simply have not gotten in the mood yet. It's often considered best to leave the female in sight (but not together) of the male for several days to help encourage him to build a bubblenest. Some don't on the first day, so if they have not been in view of each other for very long yet, this may also be why.

#4 ·
If you've had the female in sight of the male, Sometimes the male will respond by removing the female from his sight for about 24 hours, Then return her,

Nataku is right about most pet store betta's, most are past their desire for mating,

If your gonna purchase one there for breeding look for the smaller males that haven't came into full finnage yet, You'll have better luck,,,

#5 ·
he built a small bubble nest under a leaf. but he just charges and flares at the female. the female has verticle bars though. ill leave her in his sight and wait a few days.

#6 ·
I purchased Jasper as a small male a Wal-Mart, and he has grown ever since I purchased him.....>>body ------------>>fines----------!But he still makes his bubble nests.
Do you think he is past his breeding time.
When I showed him Arriel he flared and danced around a bit then calmed....The next morning he had made a bubble nest...So?

#7 ·
While i was at school my male made a huge bubble nest. when i looked in the container the female was in she wasn't there. I found her hiding behind a rock. do you think they mated? the female still has vertical bars and she is still pretty plump. the female is back in the container. should i take her out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.