Betta Fish Forum banner

HELLLPPP i can't tell the gender of my betta!!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  RayneForhest 
#1 ·
i went to a store earlier and asked for female bettas but I'm not too sure if they are female or not. When i did research on bettas gender they all say the same thing like body shape, fin size, and the white dot under the belly but I'm still too sure. I tried to look for the white dot and couldn't find it so i put him/her into a glass container and put it next to a male Betta...... confusingly it did not flare. Much help appreciated :-D

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
the body shape, long ventrals and pointed anal fin all read as male to me.

#9 ·
male plakats have short fins.

#11 ·
I've finally determined that mine is a female. I bought a male, and it turns out she's a girl. It's not always super easy to tell. Some females have long flowing fins, but not plakats, there's are always short both male and female. If you ever see a white spot (egg spot) between the ventral fins and anal fins, she is most likely a female, but not necessarily, some young males get it too.

#13 · (Edited)
i put the purplish color betta next to a male for a couple of days and it started to make a bubble nest, i'm pretty sure its a bubble nest since it's all over the bowl
OH and he/she doesn't flare at all, is that bad or good?
And since she/he doesnt flare i cant get a pic of her ventral fin in a down position without hurting the fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.