Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 
TorukBetta

Fin Rot Cure?

Well, I realized my betta had fin rot

So I went to the pet store and I bought BettaFix.

I did a 100% water change.

I have Nutrafin water conditioner so I mixed it with the Bettafix.

Now my betta is usually at the bottom laying on the rocks.

Is what I did okay? Is he okay?
TorukBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 
twolovers101

I wouldn't use the betta fix... many of the -fix's have tea tree oil (I think that's what it is) and it damages the labyrinth organ of bettas. Usually just clean water and AQ salt will cure most cases of fin rot. In case you're unsure of dosage, it's 1tsp per gallon. AQ salt (Aquarium Salt) is available in most stores that sell fish and I think you can get it at walmart for around 5 dollars.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 
TorukBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
I wouldn't use the betta fix... many of the -fix's have tea tree oil (I think that's what it is) and it damages the labyrinth organ of bettas. Usually just clean water and AQ salt will cure most cases of fin rot. In case you're unsure of dosage, it's 1tsp per gallon. AQ salt (Aquarium Salt) is available in most stores that sell fish and I think you can get it at walmart for around 5 dollars.
I was going to buy aquarium salt for him, but then this lady in the pet store said that BettaFix was major in curing fins. I bought it believing her
Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #4 
twolovers101

Ah, I see, don't feel bad, many of us have made similar mistakes, myself being one of them. I bought and used bettafix at one point until I realized that it wasn't the best option (thanks to the wonderful people on this forum). I'm not sure if they'll let you return it, but you could try :)

Also, when using the AQ salt, make sure you do 100% water changes because salt doesn't evaporate and your fish will need super clean water to get better anyway :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 
TorukBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Ah, I see, don't feel bad, many of us have made similar mistakes, myself being one of them. I bought and used bettafix at one point until I realized that it wasn't the best option (thanks to the wonderful people on this forum). I'm not sure if they'll let you return it, but you could try :)

Also, when using the AQ salt, make sure you do 100% water changes because salt doesn't evaporate and your fish will need super clean water to get better anyway :)
I highly doubt that they will let me return it . But thank you
Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #6 
Shrimpsta

What I did for cloud was 20% water change every other day on my 20 gallon long. I did not add any meds in the water because I'm scared it might mess the balance in the aquarium. Clean water with many spots to swim around and explore will make betta happy =]. A happy betta seems to recover faster too!
Shrimpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 
TorukBetta

For Bettafix, do you have to do 100% water changes to put the second dose in it?

I've been hearing mix things.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #8 
Myates

If your fish is having that bad of a reaction, don't use it anymore... fin rot won't cause your fish to become ill in that way, not until all the fins have been completely eaten away and the rot is attacking the body. If your fish is not doing so well, then take him completely out of the medication and place him in clean water with just water conditioner.. bettafix can be very dangerous/deadly under some circumstances.

For fin rot all you need is AQ salt - 1-2tsp per gallon, daily 100% water changes for no longer then 10 days.

Are you sure it is fin rot? Are the edges blackened and flaking off? Or is he just missing pieces?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #9 
TorukBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If your fish is having that bad of a reaction, don't use it anymore... fin rot won't cause your fish to become ill in that way, not until all the fins have been completely eaten away and the rot is attacking the body. If your fish is not doing so well, then take him completely out of the medication and place him in clean water with just water conditioner.. bettafix can be very dangerous/deadly under some circumstances.

For fin rot all you need is AQ salt - 1-2tsp per gallon, daily 100% water changes for no longer then 10 days.

Are you sure it is fin rot? Are the edges blackened and flaking off? Or is he just missing pieces?
Oh, it was the first day I put him in that situation.
He seems fine now, I think it was just the temp change. (I know the chabge is bad)

I am pretty sure it's fin rot because it started with tears and holes and the end of his caudal fins turned grey and flaked off.

Now I bought him some AQ salt and will put that in with Nutrafin water conditioner.