Betta Fish Forum banner

Are You Kidding Me?!!!!!!!!!!!

1K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  prodrumernate 
#1 ·
i just got back from my LPS.i replaced an oto that unfortunately died last night.had him for a few days...i got him replaced,decided to get a second 1 and some moneywort plants.i had a coupon for 3 dollars off.in all i paid .10 cents for everything

i just stepped in the door about 5 minutes ago..i go to show my dad.take them out the bag they were in.1 replacement oto is dead.and i know its not the same 1..the other oto seems to be fine and he is floating in my tank..

while i was there,they had a mexican couple come in with a couple kids.the parents couldnt speak english.the girl who was helping me was saying let the water setup for a week and its fine to put them in there.i wanted to freak out.if i knew spanish i would have said something..

then a couple that came in had 4 kids all wanting bettas.i really wanted to freak out.grabbing their cups like its just a cup of water.and i know they dont know how to set up the tank and will put them in small bowls if not the cups.

i had to walk away.i told my dad and even he got upset.i maybe new to the fish community.but i know enough to keep my fish alive and the info thee people got was wrong.

See less See more
#3 ·
hehe ye ur right...i just brought it back and replaced my oto again.the manager wanted to try to make it sound like it was my fault.i live a half mile away from the store and she wanted to blame it on the heat and me keeping it out so long.

even though i live in phoenix where the temp is over 100 f..a half mile is not far.and the water was still cold..she wanted to say i lived 45 miles away.i said nope 1/2 mile..petco employees in my area know about fish

#5 ·
i know walmart was pretty bad about fish keeping...i shall watch the videos and will comment on them also to let u know i watched them :)

#6 ·
What I think a lot of us don't understand is that not everyone knows that sites like this and TFK exist.

most people want bettas for decor. They're shown as decorations in most commercials/pictures.

I was watching Kitchen Cousins and they added those wall tanks in the room, and all were full of fish. Would the owner care for them? Probably not.

I just try and let those around me know that it's not okay. I can't reach out to others, but I can for the ones I know

#7 ·
yes you are right.not even i knew and lost several girls unfortunately.though mine are kept as pets and part of the family and not just something for every1 to see.

if i could afford it.i would make flyers and post them or even past them out at my LPS/LFS letting them know of these sites..its a shame to see a fish or any animal treated that way

#8 ·
Karma comes back to people in funny ways.

And I feel like it's easy to tell someone what to do to make a betta survuve, but most won;t do it.

#10 ·
I was mad watching keeping up with the kardashians.
they got two goldfish in ONE bowl.
Then got a tank, it looked like a 5 gallon tank. The pet store people told them to do a 25-50% water change EVERY FOUR WEEKS :shock:

Luckily they got rid of the tank, ugh. :roll:

Every time I see a fish bowl on tv or in a music video I just get irritated LOL

#15 ·
they shouldnt own fish.u know they wont care for it.but luckily its gone...

i know how u feel.1 of us should become president and put a change to that ;)

#12 ·
Yeah her excuse was that it's too much work.
LOOL.
it's too much work to kill the fish by only cleaning the tank once a month :rofl:
Apparently feeding fish is a lot of work.

Oh well, as long as they're not abusing fish (;

#14 ·
i wanted to talk to the people about the bettas.though they were busy with the kids and looked to be in a hurry..

most people dont do research bcuz they think bettas are easy to take care of.especially when stores list them as beginner pets.

im trying to think of some way of changing that.

#16 ·
Yes mybe Ill become a pet store seller
I;m gonna ask my local pet store if i can work there. though i woudl first nee to learn more about fish keeping on all kinds I jut want to make sure bettas get a good home Maybe I;ll put a shop for Bettas someday :)
Just bettas Buy them and re sell them as they should be sold that does not make sense but it does to me i cannot breed them wel anyways I think i'll go the panpleth route. Or make a website :)

#17 ·
i want to work at my LPS but i never get the chance.had a couple interviews.and they just got done with their hiring when i applied this time.

i need to learn more about salt water fish as well

#19 ·
i dont even know what age u have to be to work at a pet store..u can try local fish shops that are ran by private owners and arent big named places.or volunteer at them like an after school kinda thing.

#21 ·
from what i can tell the people at pet stores dont know anything about pets and im sure many dont own any.

#23 ·
i think they also look at personality as well..who u r and not what u own.or so much the experience.though i think a lot of these people that get the jobs say they have experience but dont.

#26 ·
Most pet stores where I live want you to be dumb as a stump when it comes to animals, so you'll just sell the in house products and not ask questions lol I have been told that I am over qualified to work at my local pet store, in other words, I won't sel their junk and therefore not make huge sales on death traps.

#29 ·
Otos can be touch and go for the first couple days. I hear they use a poison to stun them to catch them and they are basically staRving when you get them. My first two died in the first day and a half ... I went back and the guy gave me some that had been at the store about a week (and getting fed) and these guys are going strong - they even survived an ich infection! And they love a zucchini slice weighted down or clipped.

#30 ·
My closest pet store is an hour away.. more if there is traffic. They know nothing about bettas.. or fish in general, I think. All of their tanks are green and slimy.. I hate going there. But when I am out that way I do go in, just to look. A few months back I was in there and one girl was on the computer at the main desk looking at her facebook page... If they can facebook, they can research the animals they have to care for. I'm sorry but it only takes a few minutes to look up basic care for an animal so they can give the right information. Walmart is the same. I was in there getting paint brushes and couldn't find the ones I wanted, even though the website said they had them.. so the woman pulled up the website right in front of me, found the brushes and looked up the UPS to find them in the store... If they can do that, again, why can't they type it into a search and find out what an animal really needs if they don't know. People are so... odd!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.