Betta Fish Forum banner

Horrible with naming need help

546 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cgchad 
#1 ·
Ok, I am horrible with names, and need help. None of ours have names, and would like some help.
#1 is our DTHM Male.
#2 is our Delta Male. (For some reason Sterling keeps coming to mind with him.)
#3 is our Red CT female
#4 is our Black head, blue body with red and blue in the fins
#5 is our Black and Blue CT Female
#6 is our Blue female (largest one in the sorority)
#7 is our Red and White DT male. (He actually wouldn't quit staring at us at the pet store. So he came home with us.):roll:
#8 is another female. Cambodian colors maybe?
#9 is our red female.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
They're all simply gorgeous! I can see why you'd have a hard time naming them. I'd suggest a theme. Greek mythology or names from your favorite TV show or movie. Or name the girls after flowers and the boys after trees or something. Like the boys could be Oak and Elm etc. Hmm. Or name them after favorite places. It's easiest to name when you do pick a theme, though. Good luck!

#3 ·
I would name the first one Geronimo and the little red girl Chi (like spicy chi tea)...Sterling works fine for the big florescent looking guy...the rest are up to you...try to choose a theme like Sakura said....

#4 ·
Awwww they're all so beautiful!!!! You've got some great fish there, I wish i could have that many!! I love naming things so i guess I'll give a few suggestions lol!
1.)He looks so much like a Ruby Throated Humming Bird!!! I'd name him Humming Bird, or just Bird =)
2.) Sterling would be a great name for him! Somehow the name Trace came to mind when I looked at him...
3.) Misty or Mina =)
4.)Eloin or Dragonfly
5.)Queenie or Lucy
6.)Palla, Lina, or Dory =)
7.) Jake, Finch, or Benny
8.)Puzzle, Canisp, or Kitty =)
9.)This one is my favorite of all your females =D I'd name her Jenna, Suzie, Helen, or Lady!
Sorry if my name ideas aren't any good, everybody has their own preferences haha!

#5 ·
We went with the theme method (Mostly). That tip helped out a lot. We did some research to try and fit the names to the personalities we see.

Since #2 and #3 are not in the same tank with the others, so we didn't follow the same theme.
So here is what we came up with.
#1 is Adonis (Greek mythical figure of desire and good looks.)
#2 is Sterling (Still can't explain why, but it seems to fit him)
#3 is Furi (Under the right lighting she is a bright crimson red, kind of like a lava color. So Mt. Furi being a volcano, it seemed to fit.)
#4 is Phoebe (The name means Radiant in Greek)
#5 is Eris (Goddess of Chaos. She likes to instigate things in the sorority but not as much as #9)
#6 is Athena (She has definitely established herself as the Alpha of the sorority and when trouble breaks out, she will swim right into the middle of it and break it up)
#7 is Eros (Greek name for Cupid, and considering how he ended up coming home with us, it fit.)
#8 is Psykhe (She seems to be smitten with Eros, so again the name fit.)
#9 is Lyssa (Goddess of anger and rage. She is our normal trouble maker in the sorority, but stays clear of Athena.)

Thanks for the tips!!!

#6 ·
oooo you picked out some great names!!! Your fish are all amazing, they sound like alot of fun =D

#10 ·
Thank you. We found out last night that Sterling is a little afraid of the dark so to speak.
When we turned off the main room light, and the only light source was on the tank, he started freaking out. Swimming around like mad and flaring constantly. Which is really cute since he is so not intimidating when he flares. His beard is totally clear except for a little dark colored edge.
The only thing we can figure for his behavior was, with no other light source in the room, he was seeing his reflection in the tank wall. As soon as we turned on the other light he stopped. (I guess he thought he scared off the other fish). We tried it again, to confirm the light source idea and sure enough, same results, that went away as soon as the room light was turned back on.

It struck me as odd, since Adonis had been in this same tank previously and we didn't have that same issue with him.

Adonis is settled in his new home (his part of the 20 gallon) and even though I moved his favorite plant with him, he seems to ignore it now, and prefers to camp out in the wisteria, using it like a hammock.

All the girls are settling in nicely to their sorority, with Psykhe and Athena spending a lot of time together. There is still a little in-fighting with Pheobe and Eris though. Which usually draws Lyssa straight into it. Then Athena see's them and just swims right toward them all flared out and everyone runs away.

We are going to have to try different feeding methods though. Athena has claimed her spot front and center at the top of the tank, and waits for food to be dropped in. Then she goes hog wild and the others have to wait for her scraps to fall.

Eros is mostly content just building his bubble nest on his side of the divider opposite of where the girls are. Unless we go over there, then he camps out and watches us non-stop. Which is a fairly regular occurrence since my daughter moved one of the kitchen chairs right in front of the tank and spends a lot of time watching them.

I keep pointing out to my Fiancee how upset she got a few years ago when I brought the first one home, and saying how she couldn't believe I spent money on a "stupid fish". Now I can't stop her. She even pointed out that we still have 1 small tank left, which I told her I want to keep as a QT or hospital tank should the need arise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.