Betta Fish Forum banner

my male is lethargic and acting weird

4K views 106 replies 10 participants last post by  prodrumernate 
#1 ·
yesterday my male was just fine..now he sits at the bottom with his fins opened.he was actually leaning to the side on his right pectoral fin.all his fins are spread out so he isnt clamped.no signs of any damage though several days he had an incident where he jumped out his tank and my hands several time landing on carpet and a shoe box.but that was about 3 or 4 days ago and he was fine up until today..

it looks like he might be a little over fed but no signs of swim bladder disease.he will not eat today either.so today will be his fasting day.i move the cup i put him in for now,he will move around a little.

his scales are fin.everything looks fine other than his odd behavior today..

rite now i house him in a 1 gallon temp tank until i set up the other tanks the way i want.doing so re arranging..

not heated,not filtered.

fake plant that i leave floating and some small little decor.

water changes about every other day 100%

i feed him FD Bloodworms.and sometimes betta flakes if they are on my finger from feeding other fish.

he did loose a lot of finage due to my rosy reds in my 10 gallon i had him in for about a week.but that was 2 weeks ago almost.

any ideas?i havent treated him for anything bcuz i dont know what it is.he is in a betta cup rite now to make it easier for him to get to the surface and me keep an eye on him..

See less See more
#4 ·
the temp is between 76-79..my apartment doesnt get very cool this time of year..

he is still at the bottom.just sitting there.put a piece of food in.never touched it.fin still open.abdomen is swollen as if he is over feed.but when i think bout it.i dont feed him enough to really be over feed...though i havent seen any waste..im starting to think maybe a blockage..he has been in the keeper cup for about 24 hours.

he swims around at the bottom sometimes as if he wants something new to see or just wants to arrange himself again.

i dont have any epsom salt.i do have AQ salt.i thought of disolving some,putting him back in the 1 gallon hospital tank.and putting the salt in there.but was waiting to see if any changes would happen if i didnt feed him for 24 hours.

still the only symptoms i see is a bloated abdomen and he is lethargic for the most part.and not eating or producing waste.

color,fins(other than what was torn off from my fish),scales,everything else looks fine.

#5 ·
If you can, you can make it hotter. Try that out!

#6 ·
im actually not able to adjust the temp.my window unit its turned off and the only a/c running i the apartment.which is not good.even with it running of high the temp gets no lower than 80 during the summer in here.my dad wont let it stay off too long.

he and 1 of my girls have been fine without a heater for a while.i actually had the door closed last night and kept it around 78 in here.my dad thinks he is constipated..

he has no waste at all in that cup for 24 hours.yet he is bloated.

#7 ·
any pics???

#9 ·
Sometimes the slime coat can be damage and this will allow pathogens to infect him...i would start aquarium salt 1 tsp/gall. And if you have stress coat you can add it in. Stress coat will replenish his slime coat.

Pre mix 1tsp/gall of the aq salt in one gall jug for the right dosage. Do daily 100% water changes. Use for 10 days.

Also keep eye on him and make sure he is not bloated since you mentioned that you might overfeed him. Because if this is the reason, then you don't need aq salt. But again usually if his behavior due to that ,then he would be bloated.

EDIT: tpocicat didn't see your post. Yes if he is bloated then Epsom salt :)

#10 ·
they arent clear..my phone doesnt have focus on it.

Attachments

#11 ·
looked like mine... he was too cold and died. this is trial and error...

#12 ·
anything other than epsom salt that can be used that is equivalent?i think he is constipated or has a blockage of some sort.

#13 ·
I don't think it anything other then epsom salt you can use.Epsom salt usually you can find in any pharmacy (in my town), not at pet store. But if you really think he is constipated and don't have epsom salt then fasting can help. Also people on the forum recommending frozen daphnia. It you have access to it. I think you can buy it in the pet store it will help to clean out the digestive system ....

It difficult to say if he is bloated. May be a little bit ? And if you saying he swims on one side then it might be it, not sure.

Epsom salt usually helps with problem like that though + frozen dalphia really good.

#14 ·
im down to my last dollar.its all in pennies.my job has not called me to start working so unfortunately no income and no1 to borrow money from.its y im asking for an alternative...

he swims normal.but is leaning on his side when sitting at the bottom..he hasnt ate anything since the day before yesterday.he swims around for a short period,mostly to go up and get air.then kinda looks around and lounges again.

i want to try to go to the store.but its too hot..i have to walk and the only store i can afford the salt at is dollar tree which is a mile away.ill have to try to go tonight and see if i can get any..i dont know if another store here biglots sells epsom salt and how much it is.its closer to me.but too hot to walk over there and not have it or cant afford it.i looked on the website and seen nothing.but had that happen before.my phone is shut off as well..hmmm

#15 ·
E Salts are $.50/lb

Just have to look around when it comes to E Salt. Any major city in the US has a DT store.

My male does the same thing. His belly was larger than yours & I relocated him to the guppy tank & stopped feeding him pellets.

Since he doesn't swim around much, I don't feed him pellets. Since I switched his diet, his belly is nice and slim.

Also you should do 1/2 sized tests on your tank water every couple days.

I haven't done ANY water changes/siphoning to my tanks for I believe 2 weeks now and the ammonia, nitrites, etc... are all 0.

There's also NOTHING in the 1.5G tank other than 1 betta who's super aggressive.

I plan on some water changes & siphoning before Friday, but the tests are telling me 0.

#16 ·
he is in a 1 gallon..i change his water frequently..

i have 1 of my girls in a 2 gallon.she is very aggressive and separated her.but she loves it in there.then i have another female in a 20 gallon hex by herself.

my male was in my 10 gallon but the rosy reds in there nipped his fins pretty badly.he has been in the 1 gallon for a while where he was before.once im working i plan on getting another 10 gallon and will divide it for the females and then put the male in the 20 gallon hopefully.

my 10 gallon has 0 ammonia and ntirite as of a test done yesterday,and 5 nitrate...its been like that sicne the end of the cycle the first week of this month.it now houses 4 rosy red minnows,2 mystery snails and 2 otos.i have major algae.the snail have done a great job but there is still plenty to go around. :)

#18 ·
i shall do that and see what happens.i know i still need to get the E salt no matter what and have it on hand.ill see how he feels tomorrow

#19 ·
i can mail your $5 in the envelope for the salt. But i am getting confused if he is lethargic because he has infection since he jumped out a few times and now you saying that his fins are nipped or he is bloated and that is the problem. But epsom salt also has antibacterial effect though.

I am wondering if it possible to mix aq salt and epsom salt. I think i read it before that you can. Any one has idea?

#22 ·
you dont have to do that.im sure i can get the money..id fell awkward..he didnt sustain any injuries when he fell out.well other than a few missing scales..he was fine for a few days.acting normal.then all of a sudden i noticed his stomach was bloated and he was just laying at the bottom trying to hide.rite now his head is under a small dolphin decor that in there.i covered part of the tank with a rag to make it dark and for him to hide easier.

the fins were nipped by the other fish in my 10 gallon which was over a week ago,he was in there for just a few days and i said enough is enough.put him back in the 1 gallon until i can afford to get a divider for my 10 gallon.put my 2 girls in there and put my rosy reds in my 20 gallon and the male in my 2 gallon that currently houses my female donna.i was going to make a divider but cant afford the material and figured when i do start working i can afford to just buy a divider..but still no luck about my job yet.my dad and i r suppose to have started there last monday but there was a delay.we emailed the woman.still no reply..

my male(keiichi) sits at the bottom hiding,wont eat,and is bloated.he come up for air with no problem and will swim around a little to find a place to relax at.the day before he started doing this.i didnt notice any swelling in his abdomen.

#21 ·
lol i know it for human use. You can make a bath. Have fun!!!
I just text ed someone. I really remember that i read that in some cases you can mix it. Like in this case betta jumped out and might have infections since he could damage slime coat so aq salt would help. And constipated which es will help. So i will wait when that person response to me and see....

#23 ·
Sometimes bloating also can mean internal parasites. I hope it not it. But don't share anything between him and other fish just in case.

I don't think though because betta usually looks very bad with internal parasites. Symptoms can be bloating, grayish belly, white stringy or clear poo.

How often and how much you was changing your 10 gall?

#24 ·
i was also considering internal parasites.i know i need to hurry and do something besides just sitting back and waiting...he is actually not in the 10 gallon,but i change the water about every 2 weeks.now that it is stocked more ill be changing about 30% once a week..i have 4 rosy red minnows,2 mystery snails and 2 oto's in it.and i actually have a DIY moving bed filter.

#25 ·
For 10 gall with all that fish recommendation really 50 % weekly with gravel siphoning and filter media swish/wash in the old water WITH the water change.

Watch for the poo.
Epsom salt big help. I hope he don't have internal parasites. With that you can treat only with medications and epsom salt. Epsom salt along will not help.
And internal parasites easier to feed when fish is eating so it can pass them trough the poop.
Sorry i guess just keep eye on him. See if his bloating will go away. If it not go away then something is going on. Or if he will get more bloated without eating then there is possibilities to have internal....

Also be careful with other fish i would think internal parasites contagious don't put new fish in the same tank he was in.

#26 ·
the cycle had jut finished the first week of this month.ive done 2 water changes so far.last 1 was yesterday with a good gravel cleaning.i use a website aqadvisor.com to get an idea on what my tank can handle and it gives tips on how to clean and the water temp etc..i do need to change more water.

oh yes i forgot to mention he isnt pooing.2 days and nothing.theres no gravel in there so i can see the bottom.

only medication i have is bettafix.im going to gather all my pennies in the morning and roll them up and see if i have enough to get some E salt.i know i dont have enough for any other medication.

ive been checking on him constantly.seems everything is the same.he is now at the top of the tank sitting on top of a plastic plant i let float in there.

all 3 of my bettas are in separate tanks.each alone.to make sure they dont get sick or anything.i know 1 of my females has what looks almost like diatoms on her bottom and tail fin.close to the body.it seems to stay there.but she is normal.its been there for weeks..

#27 ·
how big the other 3 tanks?So i can give you advice on water changes.

sorry but bettafix will not help. Don't even use it.
I did text someone else to check on your post and see what she think.
I think now you have to wait and see if his belly will look better and poo..How long he didn't poop?

#29 ·
a 10 gallon,20 gallon and a 2 gallon..2o gallon was just seeded a few days ago..

i dont use bettafix much,i know it bad for the labyrinth organ...

he hasnt pooed in about 2 days roughly.yesterday and today nothing.

#28 ·
Prodrumernate, do you have any oak trees around where you are? If you do, go grab some dried oak leaves. Rinse them off under tap water and then crumble them up into his tank until the water turns a weak tea color.

At this point, I'm more concerned about the bloating. Anhel is definitely right that jumping out can cause him to lose slime coat, which in turn can lead to pathogens taking over and causing illness. I'm thinking he may have been so stressed by the rosy reds that his immune system was compromised and perhaps some internal parasites snuck in; since rosy reds are considered feeder fish, they aren't kept in the best of conditions and often carry parasites. Even after all this time that you've had them, they may still have had some in their system, which he may now have.

I'm not really sure how many aquarium stores use epsom salt on a regular basis but it would be worth it to ask at one, if you can, for a cupful. Otherwise, I'm more than willing to mail you some if you PM me your details. I have plenty and since you're in AZ, it should get there fairly quickly. I understand money troubles so don't worry or feel bad, you're doing all you can.

EDIT: Your female may have some excess slime coat hanging off. If she's acting normal, just keep an eye on her.

#30 ·
i have not seen any oak trees around me..ive been keeping an eye out.but with this heat i dont stay out long.it does make sense how his behavior has been.and being stressed out from being with the fin biting rosy reds.

when he jumped.he fell quiet a distance for a fish hi size.the top of the bar is about 3 and a half feet off the ground.the carpet is fairly thick.but everytime i picked him back up,he jumped out my hands.so he fell 3 or 4 times total from the top of the bar and even landing on a shoe box.i finally cupped him in my hands and put him back in the water.and kept an eye on him.i can see him from the end of my bed where im at 24/7..i can take pictures of the setup where he is and where he fell at.including the shoe box and the carpet.

i did worry about parasites.i know they arent taken well care of.i did a month of research before getting them.and now learn u can not put them with any bright colored or long finned fish.i wanted to contact admin about having a sticky about that and some other little info that might help.but never did..

i do need to be able to buy a few more things for my fish like meds and E salt.i have plenty of food.and i do worry bout if 1 gets very sick im left in the dust basically.i would have been paid already if not a delay in my work.i had to pass on some free 10 gallon tanks that were complete on craigslist due to money for driving there.but in time ill get it :) i just feel awkward and like i have to pay back any1 who does things like that for me.im honestly not use to it.

i may try to take some pictures of my tanks and setups to post in here to help give a visual on everything.

that would make sense about the brown on my females fins.shes as happy as can be.like nothing is wrong.several weeks its been like that and not really much of a change

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.