Betta Fish Forum banner

I think my betta is tail biting?

573 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  callistra 
#1 ·
On Saturday I bought a new delta tail betta. This morning when I checked on him he looked normal, but when I came home today his fins were shredded up! He's in a ten gallon with a filter, heater, and 4 glolight tetras. What should I do? Thanks

#2 ·
It could have been your tetras that did the damage.

They have teeth in their jaws & I've seen them go after my betta's fins when they were in small groups of 6 or less.

The dominant tetra of the group will do the antagonizing if they're bored or hungry.

Photo of the damage would be helpful.

#4 ·
Most of tetras & barbs don't really get along with long finned bettas.

You can try getting more glo-light tetras, but a 10G is too small to have a school of them.

Even my most aggressive betta couldn't stay in the tank for more than 5 minutes before they started getting chased by the skirt tetras & the rosy barbs.

Glo-Lights personality wise are mini versions of skirt tetras. You need like 10 of them for some sort of schooling behavior. In small number g-tetras will HOVER & display paranoid tendencies which usually results in someone getting nipped up.

Maybe your tetras don't like the COLOR of the new betta.

#6 ·
glolights are fin nippers.. Not a good combo.

Also make sure the filter isn't catching him. HOB filters should be prefiltered, imho, to avoid this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.