Betta Fish Forum banner

Morados turn

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  fishyinpa 
#1 ·
Well I did the epsom salt bath last night. He did poo a little. After I put him back though,he was so stressed over it. It helped though,so I dunno. He is looking for food now,I am just gonna give him a pea. Maybe do epsom bath tomorrow.

Dont want to stress him out too much and he gets sicker. His swelling looks bad. Still does not look like dropsy. Just bad constipation or something. My friend said hes probably blocked. I dont think the maracyn plus is doing anything for him at all. May have to try something else.

Any suggestions? I dont want to lose another fish yet. His spirits seem fine. He is fairly active. Thanks. :|

#2 ·
Sounds like a bad constipation issue.

I know a lot of you guys hate starving your fish but I once had a male who had such bad constipation issues I only fed him once a week.

Dropsy is only when he dosen't poop at all. It's failure of the kidneys so I don't think that's what it is.

#3 ·
Ah. Yeah he has been fasting for awhile now. Only food he gets is a bit of pea. maybe fast completely even no pea?

#4 ·
your signature makes me smile then cry.....

#5 ·
Awww...sorry? lol

#6 ·
well i am gonna start a full fast on him. no pea. doesnt seem to be working anyways.

how long can they go w/o food? i am prolly gonna go as long as i can. the epsom seems to help,but dont wanna over stress him. im thinking 15 mins. gonna do full wc too. i want my boy to get better.

he is starting to swim funny,so i think sbd may be starting. should i try a diff med?

ill keep yall updated.

#8 ·
Bettas can go up to three weeks without food, but I would fast him for about a week.

#10 ·
hmmm okay thanks. i may try a week see how he does.

#14 ·
ooh..wonder why they all suggest peas then? i tried frozen daphnia on him (heck all of mine) and they just stared at me. they dont like sinking food lol. they wont go after it. they will go for freeze dried though. is that okay?

#16 ·
cool. ty dq.

#17 ·
it was actually here that I found the info about the peas. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058&page=0#post159914

"My betta is bloated. What do I do?
Peas are not healthy for a betta and can cause permanent damage to their digestive system and shorten life span. If a betta is bloated then it is time to take a look at water quality and feeding habits, as well as temperature. An overfed fish is an unhealthy fish at risk of bloating. An adult betta should be fed once/day and should be able to finish all food within 2 minutes. Bettas have very small stomachs and need time to digest food before consuming more. Improper foods can also cause bloating, as can digestive tract problems and intestinal parasites."

#18 ·
Oh,wow. thanks for that. I hope I havent permanently damaged him now.

#19 · (Edited)
I am gonna do another epsom salt bath on him today. Not as long though,cause it stressed him out bad. Plus a full wc. I got new meds,jungle labs. So I gonna try that. Day 2 of his fast!! I gotta write this on a calendar or something...

#21 ·
Thanks!! Im all over the place on this board haha...

#23 ·
hmm okay. thank you neenjar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.