Betta Fish Forum banner

question about diy sponge filter

630 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  resa 
#1 ·
Ok I think I've figured out how to make a sponge filter but question remains....
is the hob filter necessary with the sponge filter

I'm using a sponge I got from the automotive dept shaped like an 8...I haven't set it up yet but thought I'd ask these questions before proceeding..
it will be for a 10g aquarium for 2 males that will be divided....

note I have a30g tank with a sorority in it and using 2 .... 5-15g filters.... should I use one of the hob filter for the 10 g and use one on the 30g with the sponge filter....hope I didn't lose you lol

#3 ·
If your HOB is seeded you may want to leave it running until the sponge filter gets seeded. Otherwise just use the sponge filter. As for the 30g, I'd leave the filters as they are. I only use sponge filters in my 10g & smaller tanks, they each have a Male, a Mystery snail & some have other snails as well plus live plants & the sponge filter alone works great. I would make sure to test the water from the side that doesn't have the sponge filter to make sure its doing its job through the whole tank since yours will be divided.

#7 ·
Looks great resa! I think the basic function of the sponge filter is to suck up 'stuff' into the sponge. If you got the bottom of pvc pipe sealed, holes poked where the sponge is, air line into the pipe, sponge secured onto the pipe, then you have an accomplished sponge filter. Well done.

#10 · (Edited)
Resa, I'm talking about the end cap on the bottom of the pipe. I did mine differently, so maybe you don't need that if your pipe doesn't extend pass the base of the sponge.
Matt is right about the main function, but I was referring to what should be happening literally and maybe visually.

Edit: I mean secured as in the sponge is fitted tightly to the pvc pipe so it doesn't travel upward away from the pipe where it was first stationed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.