Betta Fish Forum banner

The Quick Question Thread

127K views 3K replies 389 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
I saw this on a different forum and I thought it might fit here! The questions to post here are not big enough to post as a new thread, so if it is just a 'Quick Question', you post it here.

Quick Question:
How long does it take before betta eggs hatch?

#1,979 ·
I'm cheap and dont replace my carbon filled cartridges.

You can buy carbon (that black stuff) in petstores in a large amount for less than what a cartridge would be by far, and keep using it.

Buy a filter media bag (usually a buck or two) and fill it, and then add to that void all filters seem to have somewhere and replace when needed.

My boyfriend used his last cartridge so long it was literally busting out at the bottom like a butt XD

#1,987 ·
what should i prepare to pick up my betta, its due to ship soon and its damn hot lately. i plan to go by public transport but yesterday the temperature were 33-38 celsius depending on humidity and mode of transportation (no AC on any public transport). i have a lunchbox/12 can container, i plan to put bags of cool water around the shipping bag. anything else that is useful to have on me when i bring it home?

#1,992 · (Edited)
Thats so odd.

I agree with JK, though, if you can manage it, keep the fish in the box...but if the ride is long enough, put the box in the cooler, too :D
i dont know how big the box is. the cooler is 7 3/4inches height, 5 inches wide at smallest and nearly 11 inches long. i do have other larger coolers but those really do like beer coolers. carrying what seems to be alcohol in a cooler on public transport puts me on edge if anyone wants to look inside to shock the fish. i'll try my best to keep the box unopened until im ready to open it.

#1,993 ·
If it's just one fish, it should be a smaller sized box, and hopefully would fit in the cooler, if not, that's fine. Just hold your fish box to minimize the bumps. unless the ride is an hour or so, it should be okay. I don't know about in Canada, but down here in the states, a lot of the backs of mail trucks have no AC, and where I live, it can easily get around 35 degrees celcius this time of year. I know there is a transhipper who lives actually further down south than I am, and she manages to ship fish out during all times of the year without mishap.

#1,994 · (Edited)
thank you, worst case scenario i put the betta bag in to the cooler (in a dark area)with cool water bags, towel and packing foam. so i dont need to have a cooler in the shipping box given the crazy heat?

#1,996 ·
thank you i just sent a email asking for that option just now. i wouldn't want to receive a cooked fish after the money and time for it.

#1,997 ·
What, other than fin rot, would cause my crowntail's fins to - for lack of a better word - break off? I noticed recently that part of his tail suddenly shorter than it was, and now it looks like the same thing is happening to his fins. My first thought, of course, was fin rot, but the tips of his fins don't look black at all. A few of them are curled a bit, but that's all. And he seems perfectly fine otherwise.

Any idea what would cause this?

#1,999 ·
I wondered if he might be biting them. I've never noticed him doing so, but of course, I can't watch him 24/7.

Hmm. The tank is 3 gallons, and I've been doing water changes twice a week - one 50% and one 100%. Perhaps I should do another 50% in between...

It's funny. He seems happier than ever, wiggling up to greet me whenever I walk by. And he's even started building a bubble nest. But I just compared with some pictures I took when we first moved him to the new tank, and there's definitely been a big change in his fins... :\

#2,001 ·
I thought about that too. There's one plastic plant I've been slightly worried about, but I would think if he snagged a fin on it, it would have ripped it. There's no damage anywhere but the tips. And even they don't really look damaged, just... shorter.

I'll try to get some pictures when I change his water today. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

#2,002 ·
CT's rays do not curl because of poor water. The water can cause them to curl because of the hardness or ph (i forget which, lol)..If you dont want them to curl, use Indian almond leaves to change the pH. Its only for looks, though, and wouldnt break them off or anything.

It might be tailbiting. Remove anything that you're suspicious of. Do an extra bit of water changing for a while, to ward off infection. Your change schedule is fine the way it is for normal living.

CT's dont tailbite like other fish might...But it doesnt mean they cant, I guess.

#2,004 ·
That's good to know. :) I've been meaning to get a kit so I could test the ph and such anyway, so I'll definitely do that, and see if I can find some almond leaves.

I'll take out that one plant just to be sure, and do that extra water change for a bit. Is there anything else I can/should do to help his fins regrow? The water conditioner I'm using is also supposed to help repair fin damage, so should I just stick with that?

Thanks for your help!

#2,003 · (Edited)
is there a certain PH range for VTs? my betta has curled a pectoral and its not from any finrot or biting. i have 7.4 ph in the water, i have IAL teabags to lower the ph if needed.

sorry Pewpewpew, nevermind this post. i missed noticing the reply in CT tail care.

#2,005 · (Edited)
does anyone have suggestions for hidey holes for a 2.5g tank? its 10 1/2 wide and 8.5' tall, 6-7' from front to back. i saw a t-rex skull that looks promising but its a bit course for its surface. theres also an aligator head which is much smoother. the tank theme is atlantis/ underwater ruins. saw collumn ruins wall (blue ribbon pet) but its 1 inch too long for the tank. there's a mayan jaguar mask but its also a bit coarse on the surface. the only thing from stopping me from getting a t-rex skull or mayan jaguar mask is the coarse surface. dont know if it'll damage betta fins/scales. the jaguar mask does have some rough edges for holes but i can fix that if needed.

#2,008 ·
I use a siphon in my planted tanks. Gravel vacs (with the vacuum heads) are too wide and bonk into things, which gets annoying. With the siphon, I just pfwup, do what I need to, and its finished.

Ive never seen an agitation type... would you have a link to one? :eek:

I dont think it would be too out of theme. Think of it less of atlantis or whatever, and maybe more of ancient ruins-- anything old goes! :D

Both sound a decent price. I would pay over $20, IMO, but those are reasonable.

#2,009 ·
I use a siphon in my planted tanks. Gravel vacs (with the vacuum heads) are too wide and bonk into things, which gets annoying. With the siphon, I just pfwup, do what I need to, and its finished.

Ive never seen an agitation type... would you have a link to one? :eek:

I dont think it would be too out of theme. Think of it less of atlantis or whatever, and maybe more of ancient ruins-- anything old goes! :D

Both sound a decent price. I would pay over $20, IMO, but those are reasonable.
thank you, its a gravel siphon im talking about. wasnt too sure how it works. though it has a 1 way valve just before the hose that leads out of it.

i'll drop by the LPS again for those castles today.

#2,011 · (Edited)
Every now and again my betta will have splits in its tail fin. Most heal realitively quickly but one has left a small hole behind. I have inspected the scenery in the tank thouroughly and shaved off all sharp areas. Anybody have any ideas?
My female has had this problem even before I put new fish in so I know its not caused by them. Also its been happening less since I got tank mates for her.

#2,014 ·
i found a column ruins ornament for $9. its what i like but 2 of the holes are only half an inch. its enough for the betta to pass but its a tight fit? ATM i didnt get it for that reason. is it ok or should i go on the side of caution and avoid it?

#2,016 · (Edited)
thank you, i think i'll avoid it. sanding down would remove the esthetic appearance byt having 1/2 of the column's width missing. i think ill avoid the trex head also the teeth are sharp on the back edges in addition to the general surface.

the nile crocodile looks promising its all smooth but the only part that fits my thumb is the back of the head and the openin of the mouth. any part halfway and closer to the jaw joint cant get a thumb thru. this is the 3 long model im talkint about.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-24546

i got the jaguar mask ornament for my 1gal already its only the 2.5g. i did find some ruin buildings but they're more middle age that ancient ruins. im getting a bit annoyed. found the perfect ornament for $25 but its literally 1/2 inch too long for my 2.5g (even diagonally). is it possible to cut it into 2 peices without looking awkward/ugly?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/romancolumnruinswall.aspx

arm im looking at the stock pet smart may have in stock for something similar.

#2,017 · (Edited)
sorry for the double post but i think i found a solution. i dont like this 20 minute grace period to edit posts much but notging much i can do aside from sending a PM.

tank dimensions again are 10.5 inches long 8.5 inchs high and 5->6 inches front to back. i stick the temple ruins in the center of the tank which coincides with the backdrop (columns near the corners of pic) then i just plant my anacharis around the temple. dont tknow if it will be too crowded or nice like that. the temple ruin is 8.5inches high 5' front to back 4 1/2 width. might add a crocodiel head if its safe beside the temple. the heater will probably have to go somewhere in the corner opposite to my thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Enviro...RA/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1311901405&sr=8-26

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.