Betta Fish Forum banner

Please help me

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Alienbetta1 
#1 ·
My female betta still looks a little bloated. I got her a little over a week ago and once she was in the tank I noticed she seemed a little bloated. So I fasted her a couple days, and it didn't seem to be going down so I started to feed her. I fed her two pellets in the morning and 2 at night. and it seemed to slowly go down, but its still there. She eats just fine. she also always stays at the top of the tank towards the surface. I have noticed my male does that to. Is there anything I can do to make their tank more comfortable for them? Their water temp is about 75 I think. Its the exact same for both of them. They both have lots of plants, and little caves, but I think it something to do with the water...
Thanks for any help

#2 ·
I just looked at my female and she has a longish stringy thing hanging out of her stomach. It kind of looks like a hook. Is this serious? I am going to do a 25% water change right now.

#5 ·
Isn't that stringy thing comming out of her stomach poop? Haha

#6 ·
The white stringy thing is poop, though it's not good that it's white and stringy. How long has she been bloated. She's probably eggy if fasting and such doesn't help. I hope she doesn't become eggbound.

Females will occasionally fill up with eggs even without the presence of a male, just like most other female animals going into season. Normally they will either re absorb the eggs or they'll release them and eat them. An eggbound female cant do either, her eggs are sort of stuck. And she'll keep filling up until her eggsac bursts.

#7 · (Edited)
She seems to have been bloated probally two weeks now. Although to be honest not sure if she is bloated or just a fat fish or has eggs. But her stomach seems a little bigger then it should so...
Okay, well is there anything I can do to help her? Or should I fast her for a while again? How long should I fast her if I even should fast her.

#9 ·
Stringy white poop usually indicates intestinal parasites. I really hope she doesn't have them. Just keep an eye on her and check her poop. I would put her in a hospital tank with no bottom so you can see her poop easily. Make sure her water is very clean and don't use any of the nets, cleaning brushes etc that you use on her on your other fish. Parasites can be very contagious.

#10 ·
Okay, I will go and buy a hospital tank for them. And will use my extra net. Is there anything I should put in her water? And how can I get rid of the parasites?

#12 · (Edited)
Well what size tank is she in now? I wouldn't jump on it yet. Stringy white poop usually means parasites not eggs. Just because it's a female doesn't mean that they can't get parasites. I'll give you a link when one of my fish had parasites (sadly he passed away). But it gives all of the information that people gave me.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=37581 I also have pictures of the poop. Like Kelly said in that post: "A one-time stringy poop can simply be an irritated digestive tract overproducing mucus but if you see this a few more times it's internal parasites. Jungle Parasite Clear used in conjunction with Jungle's anti-parasitic food should clear it up." So that's why I said don't jump on it now because it could be an irritated digestive tract. So just keep an eye on her poop.

#13 ·
Okay. And thanks for the link, but thats not what the poop looked like. It was more like a string that curled at the bottem. I haven't seen her poop since, though I haven't fed her since I have posted in case she is bloated. I will hopefully be able to get a isolation tank tomarrow.

#14 ·
Well I noticed yesterday she was very active. I haven't seen her this active since the day I got her. And then she was just scared and banging against the cup trying to get out. But she seems fine now. Maybe whatever was wrong is gone now. Anyways thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.