Betta Fish Forum banner

How to cool a 2 gallon planted tank?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Aus 
#1 · (Edited)
Right now in my office I have a 2 gallon planted tank and I was thinking about getting a betta fish to put in it. I have a heater laying around so I'm not worried about the winter or the air conditioning, but it may get to hot. On the weekends, when they turn off the AC, the temp in the room can easily get up to 100F in the summer. I was thinking that I could buy a fan and put it above the water for cooling on weekends but I don't know if this cool enough to keep the water below 84ish? The temperature does only get about 100F for saturday and sunday on the weekends so its only two days out of the week. What do you guys think? Or do you have any other suggestions on how to cool a 2 gallon planted tank on the weekends to make it betta inhabitable.

Thanks,
- Josh

#10 ·
I use bags or bottles of cool water to cool

#12 ·
Dymax (I buy a lot of their products, very reliable! though the LEDs could live a bit longer..) make a fan that can be clamped to the side of the tank:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3474

^ That's a great review, and kind of funny also for the appliance abuse... :lol:

Bettas can tolerate a surprising amount of heat - I live in Australia and it gets upward of 43C here (48.9C was record heat in my city, boy that was hot..) and an ordinary house fan cooled my tanks okay last summer. I think one of these would really help. But you'd have to maybe devise a way for air flow to occur, without the betta jumping out..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.