Betta Fish Forum banner

How my bettas recovered... :)

12K views 68 replies 11 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
A quick story about my bettas: I got them for my girlfriend for our anniversary but didn't know much about them so I didn't keep them properly, they were cold, gotten sick, etc. which brings us to the 1st picture:

The first picture was taken as soon as I got her home and the second was taken a few weeks later when he got fin melt. I wanted to sum up their worst state and continue on with the 2nd picture:

Here, they were all good, this was taken before I went home for the holidays and had to take my bettas with me. I carried them in little jars for a 4 hour trip to my hometown. They were feeling amazing back there because it was much warmer. I haven't got a picture of them during the holidays since I didn't have my camera with me but I decorated their 1 gallon jars with Christmas garments and they were encouraged to mate. He kept making bubble nests while she layed around 100 eggs on her own and ate them all in the next few days. This encouraged me to get a heater and an aquarium to keep them here, where I go to college.

I improvised with the heater until my aquarium order was done because I didn't want them to change back to my cold room temperature. In a few days I picked up their new home and set it up:

It is a perfect tank for two bettas! It has a dividing glass in the center which can easily be removed by pulling up. They are dancing all night so I couldn't take a decent photo. They are really enjoying their new home. Also, while the female was at that red can she had yellow vertical stripes which makes me happy. They are completely healthy now. Here are a few pics I barely took while they were standing still, breathing out the surface. :D

That's it, as I promised, I listened to a lot of people on this forum and did as they said and the difference is visible. Bettas are tough and they can survive cruel conditions but they won't be happy and they won't blossom and live the way they are intended to. Next step for their home is a filter-pump, I will post more pics if I make any changes and also make this thread a general thread about my bettas. Thanks for paying attention!

See less See more
#38 ·
I can not believe you guys. I should have written "Warning! Sarcasm! Do not take for granted." at the bottom of my post. MattsBettas started pointing out flaws and the worst outcomes that could possibly be, and stopped offering solutions. I am sorry your fish died, that's always the risk.

Off course I wouldn't buy another fish to test stuff on it, did you really take this for real?

#39 ·
Can you please stop attacking each other?

I think your bettas are beautiful and have nice finnage. Veiltails can be BEAUTIFUL fish, just ask Feng. Some pet stores take EXCELLENT care of their fish, especially bettas. My lfs does that. I kept a male and female separated through a divider. Soady's fish aren't dying and they're doing great. This setup is amazing and I believe that they really care about their fish. I'm surprised a moderator hasn't jumped down your throats yet. Still, please ... Stop with the bickering. It's a journal, not a "please rant to me about how horrible I am!" blog. I got yelled at for having only 2 female bettas in a 20gL yet they're doing GREAT. Soady, as long as you have everything figured out, I don't think that there's a problem with your betta plans and/or setup.

If you have any problems with what this person is doing, state it in a respectful manor. I'm not trying to act like a mod, I'm just disgusted at this. I thought this forum was great until I saw this. No self control when it comes to the members and they're tearing at each other's throats over the free will of ONE person. You can't change what they do. Just hope that they take good care of the fish. I believe that Soady is doing a great job already. It's their choice if they want to breed the two bettas. It's not like the offspring are going to end up as a half dead $20 in petco. If they're plans are good, then give them advice. "You're arrogant and inconsiderate!" is ridiculous. But, what are you going to do? Caps lock them to death? Great idea. Calm your butts down. I don't care if I have to reach through the computer and slap all of you. CALM. DOWN.

#41 ·
Is Soady's plan 100% perfect? No. But I haven't seen people harassing others about this kind of thing. I've seen multiple first time breeder questions where people are like, "Would these two be good" or "pick a girl for my boy". But we assume that they know exactly what they're doing? At least Soady's got a general idea about what's going to happen and what will happen with the fry.

This thread was about his fishes journeys of recovery and the thoughts about breeding them. I think they're lovely and that the body shapes will balance each other out well. The anal fins will probably be long on the babies, but that's with a lot of other breeders. Including professionals who are breeding to sell on Aquabid.

#42 ·
The above pictures are taken at their worst state (she was in a jar with him for 2 days while I was hiding them from my girfriend, can you imagine?! His picture was taken once he got clamped fins from bad keeping).
Soady kept his fish together in a jar for two days. That is ridiculously irresponsible. And now we are believing that he knows what he is doing? To be brutally honest, With his current plan it is likely that the parents and the fry will not survive.

#43 ·
I've seen less responsible fish ownership. What he did wasn't right, but he's worked his butt off to improve the living conditions for them. Conditions I think are rather swimming for them. Owning a new animal requires learning about them and evolving to make sure they're happy and content with life.

If we keep holding the first 2 days against Soady, nothing will ever be good enough. The fact that their current setup is nice seems completely shadowed out by something that happened when he first got them. Was it right? No. But I've seen people leave betta's in a couple cups of water before and never improve the living conditions.

#45 ·
Alright? May I point out that instead of constructive advice, you've been deconstructively tearing at Soady's person? Any advice is negated with all of the harsh statements. It makes you seem more like some crazed person bent on tearing Soady down as a person, rather than a fish fanatic that wants to help someone figure out a perfect plan.

Whether or not you agree with breeding VT's, or certain colors has no business in this. They are his fish, and if he chooses to breed that's his right. But at least give some non-judgmental advice on how to properly set it up so that his fish have the best chance for survival.

#47 ·
As with all animals including livestock, traditional house pets, birds and etc. They are by legal standards his property. So he does in fact. Whether or not we agree with it, don't we owe it to the fish to at least give some constructive advice that will give his fish the best shot at survival? From how to properly prepare the parents to be to raising and caring for the fry.

#49 ·
You guys are carrying this arguement from one thread to the other. I know you guys are concerned for Soady's fish but he/she has gotten some good advice from another member and I'm sure, will be following it. Screaming and yelling at Soady is NOT helping matters. All this arguing is upsetting to others who are reading this thread.Please treat others the way you want to be treated. Thank you.

#50 ·
MiyuMikaelson, thank you for defending me. I don't want anyone to argue, I have done the best for my fish, and it is true that I was badly informed when I got them, but 4 moths had passed since then and I have done everything to keep my fish properly.

As dramaqueen mentioned, I am getting good advice from Myates, and she is extremely helpful. Also, I have read tons of advice about bettas, including all the stickies in here, and Myates is helping me with questions about my, particular case.

I am unsure of why MattsBettas thinks that one person can not learn. He did see how I keep my bettas, what I feed them, how they look like, etc.

I will say it again, I gave up the idea of spawning in a community tank and I will have everything needed for a successful spawn, proper conditioning, tanks, jars, fry food...

#52 ·
It will be in April. I will have more time to tend the fry and it will be a lot warmer here, in Serbia. I will definitely make a Spawn Log thread. :)

Everything will be prepared. I already have 4 types of frozen food for conditioning. The plastic containers I will buy in a month, I already found a suitable one (20g), and I will buy another one if I have a big spawn. It will be a setup with a heater and some floating plants, he will probably make a nest just under them. I will put bacopa caroliniana in the plastic container too, for hiding. The fry will be fed infusoria for the first two days and then newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I will buy Sera's Artemia mix, from what I've read on forums, everyone says that it will hatch nicely. I will also find as many live cultures as I can. They don't have them in stores here like in USA, but I will connect with some people on serbian forums who will provide me with starter cultures.

#53 ·
Awesome! I'd love if you kept a Spawning Log on this website in that forum, so that we could see how the process is going for you as well as how the Fry turn out and start to color.
:)

#56 ·
I read through this thread, and I must say, I am appalled at the behavior of some of you.
Can you not see that Soady's journey they are choosing to share has obviously been a learning experience? Getting better and learning more about bettas constantly? Obviously Soady is still learning (like all of us are, no matter how long you've kept fish), and is even open to advice from others... And people are coming here with nothing but complaints? I am sure if you would have worded things more nicely you would have a better reception.

I will ask you to stop posting now if you have issues in this thread as you have pushed things too far. Yelling and screaming is not how we teach people here.

Soady, if you wish to breed, breeding is a big journey and takes a lot of work and research. If you are planning on breeding, we have a lot of information here on the forum. Just because you have veil tails doesn't mean you shouldn't breed them (though you may not want to of they are old). As long as the ethics of the animals are considered, everyone should be free to enjoy the hobby as they wish.
Posted via Mobile Device

#59 ·
It's great to hear that they're doing good, Soady! :)

#60 ·
I wish you luck Soady! c: I'll be on the watch for your log!

Personally I was rather upset at the two of you who slammed him down like that. He fixed what he did wrong, his fish look great now, and he has a lot more knowledge. Yelling and raging only makes a person get tense and defensive, and that's not a warm welcome to this thread, now is it?

#62 ·
Glad to hear that you improved your plans. Although I am still against your plan, I am glad you are doing what you can to make it work. As for all of the people who are attacking me for what I said, I am sorry if I offended any of you but am not sorry for putting the good of the fish first. I will not "yell" at him anymore but will give advice where possible. Sorry!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.