Betta Fish Forum banner

help

1K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  hunniebeenikki 
#1 ·
hey i just bought a brand new 50 watt heater for my 10 gallon tank, the heater is rated for up to 15 gallons. but i cant seem to get the water temp up to 70 and the ive already returned and replaced for the same heater. anybody know why this is happening and how will it affect my betta?

#2 ·
Many heaters have a light that glows when the heater is working, does yours have such a light? Many heaters also have a dial to set the temp but these dials aren't even close sometimes as far as accuracy. For example, One of my heaters ,,I set for 82 degrees according to the heater but to get actual 82 degrees,, I had to set the dial for almost 90. You need to go by thermometer in the water rather than the dial setting on the heater. I suppose it's also possible that you got two defective heaters but I think this ,,unlikely.

#3 ·
Hi thatguy,

I have had the same problem as 1077 describes, I have to set my heater higher than the 82/84 to actually get the thermometer to read the temp I want the tank to be....strange tho coz it`s only one tank I have this problem with, a 13G with 100W heater.
Anyway, I have noticed a huge difference between having the filter on or off too. Obviously if there`s no flow in the water the heater will only stay on for so long as it thinks it`s warm enough already but.....turn the filter on and create a flow and the heater comes on more often and for longer.

Weird but I guess it`s just trial and error as to whether you need to try and set your heater slightly higher but make sure you keep an eye on the temperature that the water is actually reaching.

Lise x

#7 ·
Anyway, I have noticed a huge difference between having the filter on or off too. Obviously if there`s no flow in the water the heater will only stay on for so long as it thinks it`s warm enough already but.....turn the filter on and create a flow and the heater comes on more often and for longer.
Very interesting! I did not know this. I'm still waiting for my 25-watt Visitherm Stealth heater to arrive. I will probably put it in at a diagonal since people have mentioned this being more effective at heating the water.

I don't know if I can create enough "flow" in my little tank, hopefully it will be enough for my heater to function. Right now I turn on the filter on my Eclipse tank during the daytime after morning feeding, and I turn it off just before evening feeding. Since I've read that Bettas don't like too much water flow, I have placed a tall plant just underneath the water output part of the filter to help minimize water movement.

#4 ·
ive had the heater on full all night and the water only went up 2 degrees, still not enough. but this morning ive also notice all the walls and bottom of the tank are covered in tiny bubbles, ive already had someone tell me that its only a bubble nest, but i took the fish out a few days ago. why is this happening?

#5 ·
The tiny bubbles on your walls are not a bubblenest, Bubblenest are on the surface.
The tiny bubbles appear sometimes after a fresh water change, Its just trapped air, They will disappear shortly.
Nothing to worry about, perfectly normal

#8 ·
I didn`t know previously either MarieBettaMom, not until I thought that all 3 heaters in the tank must be knackered. Seems that since I switched the heater back on the water has circulated and the temp has actually become even in the tank and the temperature I wanted.
Strange!! but we live and learn huh? lol

Lise x

#9 ·
i use the stealth heaters. I like them but I do have to set them a little higher than the actual temp they're reading, both of them. I use a 25 watt and a 50 watt, both in 3 gal tanks (they didn't have a 25 watt when I went to the store in a hurry... my other one crapped out after a major tank overhaul.)

Chicklet's right about the bubbles. If you go to the photo section i posted a photo of fin rot. You can see the bubbles on the glass. It's usually after a full water change; You can stir the water a little to get them to go away if they bug you.

#10 ·
i just got a filter for my tank and the low water movement seems to allow the water to heat up and stay evenly heated. my betta is back in and he seems happier now, except he doesnt seem to like his reflection , he keeps going crazy and flaring his gills. its fun to watch, but is this normal?

#18 ·
ok ty Drama, He's already makin a bubble nest lol. somethin came up and wasn't able to get that new tank yet. But tomorrow I'm gonna get it. My hubby want to kill him and I told him I don't think so. He won't do it. He's just aggravated. lol To some degree, I get what I want with in some reason lol.

#19 ·
Sounds like he's jealous. lol We do have a tendency to spend money on our fish! lol I don't know how much I spent last week on 1 one gallon,1 2 1/2 gallon critter keeper, one heater and a whole bunch of fake plants. Jaden's favorite plant came apart and I've been trying to find one that he will like as well. I think he's doing ok with what I have in there now. I haven't heard him complain yet. lol

#22 ·
We love to spoil our fish. they are worth it. I;ll keep buying stuff to keep them entertained and happy and most of all healthy.

Couldn`t have put it better myself!! :-D

#23 ·
I shiver to think about the money and cost I have wrapped up into my fish,
You gotta love em to get into them.

and such how often should I do a complete water change? and how often should I do a partial change?
I assume this is a 10 gallon tank were talking about right?
If so a complete water change once a yr, maybe longer, depends If you do gravel cleanings with a siphon hose,
Anything 5 gallons and up only need partial water changes once a week of about 20-25%

Only time you need to break down a bigger tank is when a problem arises and it needs a good disinfecting,

Do gravel cleanings and partial water changes once every week.

If you have a tank over stocked then you may very well need to do it more then once a week,
But for a lone betta, Once is sufficient.

#24 ·
I shiver to think about the money and cost I have wrapped up into my fish,
You gotta love em to get into them.

I assume this is a 10 gallon tank were talking about right?
If so a complete water change once a yr, maybe longer, depends If you do gravel cleanings with a siphon hose,
Anything 5 gallons and up only need partial water changes once a week of about 20-25%

Only time you need to break down a bigger tank is when a problem arises and it needs a good disinfecting,

Do gravel cleanings and partial water changes once every week.

If you have a tank over stocked then you may very well need to do it more then once a week,
But for a lone betta, Once is sufficient.

Yeah, it's a 10 gal, I have a few gems in the tank insted of rocks, He really seems to like the gems. So do I do clean them too, and what if I do a cycle? or get one I know I would have to take him out of the tank for that, but How often should I do that? He is by himself and I plan on gettin one of those live plant bulbs too. I imagine that will help things. :BIGhmm: And If I take out say 5gal of water, and replace 5gal, then I still need to conditiont the water correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.