Betta Fish Forum banner

Need help deciding...

656 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  DragonFish 
#1 ·
I saw a 5 gallon tank today and it really wasn't as big as I thought. I think I could make room for it. But I'm also worried about moving my fish from a 2 gallon bowl to a 5 gallon tank. Would a big change like that stress him out too much? Also the shape, from a bowl to a rectangle tank. Would that bother him?

I read somewhere about this person who got a 5 gallon tank for their betta, and it died from the stress. I'm really scared to put my betta's health or even life at risk. Plus I want to get a new heater that will keep his tank a lot warmer than the one he has now, from 24 degrees Celsius to about 27 (I think that's 80 in Fahrenheit.) Maybe I should put the heater in his 2 gallon for a week so he can get used to it. That way there won't be so many changes at one time. I just hope he's not going to get really stressed out.

#2 ·
it depends on your betta, some bettas would adjust to that no problem, but others get stressed out.

the best thing to do would be to acclimate him in the cup he came in from the store. set up the 5 gal tank, add water and dechlorinator, then float the cup in the tank for about 10 minutes, then every 5 minutes add some of the tank water to the cup for about 30-40 minutes. this will help him get used to the temperature and to the new water.

also, putting the heater in his 2 gal bowl wouldn't hurt, try it. :)

some bettas seem to like the new, bigger space right away, but some seem to feel overwhelmed and need some time to adjust. after you acclimate your betta, let him swim out of his cup or you can net him, and put him in that way.

watch him for a while, and if he seems to stay in one place, let him hide out in a cave or something and keep it dim, so he can calm down. if he starts to swim around and explore, then he's fine. i think it's worth a try to get him a bigger home. :)

#3 ·
+1 to audjree's advice.

Only thing I might add is to maybe toss in a few extra plants and hiding places for him. What usually 'overwhelms' a betta when moving to a larger tank(though don't worry too much; a 2 gallon to a 5 gallon isn't THAT big of a change ;))is the open space, which makes them feel exposed and, therefore, stressed(leading to the very untrue myth that bettas like smaller bowls; so long as there are enough plants no tank is too large). They come from densely planted, dark waters in the wild...they feel a lot more comfortable with lots of plants(silk or live)and caves to hide in/explore.
Also, more plants/caves gives your betta things to swim around/though/investigate as they are naturally curious and inquisitive fish; just be sure to check for any sharp edges(which is why I didn't say plastic plants)/holes your betta might get stuck in.

#4 ·
oh yes, +1 to dragonfish. haha :)

they like to explore, so give him plenty of plants and hiding spaces, without making it too crowded. my betta loves to swim around and explore, and it's quite fun to watch him. haha

some plastic plants are okay, i've heard stories of someone's betta's fins ripped off of a silk plant, so the only way to know if a plant is safe is to bring in some panty hose (sounds silly, right? haha) and rub the plant on it, and if it snags, it'll also snag on your betta's fins, but if it doesn't, it's safe.

all i have are plastic plants, but they didn't snag on the pantyhose, and they don't snag on my betta. :)

also, make sure that your thumb can fit in any holes in caves, so your betta won't get stuck.

#5 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the cup he came in. The pet store person never gave it to me, just stuck the betta in a bag.

In his 2 gallon, I do twice a week water changes, one 100% and one 50 to 60%. I was thinking I would transfer him to the 5 gallon when I'm doing the 50% change, and put about a gallon, or maybe a little less, of his old tank water in with him. I don't want to get a filter. I think it would agitate him since he's not used to it, and I don't mind doing the water changes. Would I only have to do one 100% change a week in a 5 gallon tank, or should I do maybe 30% or something later in the week too?

With the way he freaked out the other day, I'm still a little nervous to put him in a new environment. If he freaked out like that when he was just spooked, how is he going to act in a totally new tank? I am planning to get him some more plants if I get the 5 gallon. I have 2 fabric ones in the 2 gallon.

#6 ·
Ahh, this is true; there are some silk plants that can snag fins as well...but the majority, as far as I've seen at least, seem to be just fine. I've never had any trouble with silk plants personally. Plastic I learned about the hard way back in the day though. But I have seen a couple plastics that seemed possibly soft enough...
I just dislike the look of plastics >.> <.<
Up to you though; the pantyhose test is your best bet, regardless.

I'd say keep the same water change schedule in the 5 gallon if you don't want to cycle it; one 100% and one 50% a week.

Ahh, don't be too nervous....if you have enough plants and you acclimate him properly like audjree suggested then you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
If hes a shyer guy, just give him a little time to get used to his surroundings. I, personally, have never had a betta that didn't go right to excitedly exploring any new surroundings I happened to put them in, so I can't give advice from experience there, but he should get used to his surroundings eventually. ;)

#7 ·
There's another tank I'm interested in, though it's only a 3 gallon. What do you think of it? http://www.petcetera.ca/Products/Reptile/Habitats/Small-Pals-Pen-Extra-Large.aspx There's suppose to be a super large size that went up to 4 gallons, but it seems like the store here doesn't sell it. I haven't found any other stores that sell 3 or 4 gallon tanks. The only problem I have with this one is that it's plastic instead of glass. I don't know if plastic is as good as glass tanks.

#8 ·
That tank should work just fine; its about the same as a Kritter Keeper(which can be awesome cheap tanks actually). Plastic/acrylic works just as well as glass, little tanks like that(and KKs as well)can be safely heated and all that. I actually like them better because they're lighter and easier to life for water changes.
Only problem is they scratch pretty easy, though I can't really see the scratches on mine when they're all filled up. If the scratching doesn't bother you, then they're just as good, IMO/E.

#9 ·
Thanks. :-D I think I'll go with that one since it's easier to carry. The 5 gallon might be too much of an abrupt change for him right now since he's already been over a year in a 2 gallon. I might upgrade in a couple of months to a 5 gallon, but I would like to see how he does in a 3 gallon first. Problem is that this store is far into the city, so it's going to be a while until I can get there, but I can test out the new heater I'll get next week in the meantime. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.