Betta Fish Forum banner

How long can He hold up?

928 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Alcemistnv 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
So it's me again.... I got a new tank from my friend but we threw away the paper with the size on it before i got to write it down.. :/ anyway... I but my betta in the tank this morning and he's fine still but my freind keeps telling me that i need all this stuff if I want my betta to survive... All I have is the water, substrate, fish, plant/s... I understand that I need the water conditioner and I am going to get that today, but is everything else necessary (Filter, purifier, e.c.t) ?! and if it is... how long will my betta be OK in the tank without it?
Please help!

#2 ·
You would need a heater. Betta fish are tropical fish originating from Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia. 78 is an optimal temperature for them. Anything lower than 76 can leave the fish more susceptible to harmful diseases that are low immune system related and stress related.

#4 ·
It increases the risks of sicknesses within the tank as it lowers the immune system which leaves the Betta open too many stress related diseases or symtoms such as fungal infections, fin rot, body rot, mouth rot, tailbiting, bacterial infections, etc. he will also be more lethargic due to the slower metabolism. Which is caused by low temperatures

#5 ·
you should really get tap water dechlorinator that removes chlorine chlorimine and heavy metals. Any of those things can poison your fish. The water company changes what they put in the water at different times of the year.

Well I don't know about where you live. It looks like you may not be in the states.... It's not expensive though and a small bottle goes a long way.

#6 ·
I've had Buddha for 4 months in a 2 gallon tank with no conditioner/filter/heater and I can tell that I've had a few scares with him being sick. To be perfectly safe, I'd say that you should invest in a filter and heater as well. Especially for when the winter comes because room temperatures tend to dip. 78% is higher than you think. :)

How big is the tank that you got?
And do you have a picture of the set up? I'm curious.

#7 ·
If you can't remember what size it is, you can take measurements to calculate it, or, if it's an odd shaped tank, take a picture with something like a soda can, bottled water or a crayon next to it, something we can judge size by, and we might be able to tell you about how big it is. Different brands have different looks and some of us are familiar with certain brands.

#8 ·
Knowing the size of your tank can benefit you when you need to put conditioners in the water. I know that for the one I use, it's about 10mL for every gallon. Or something like that haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.