Betta Fish Forum banner

IALs: What To Do With Them

745 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tikibirds 
#1 ·
i just ordered some from ebay and i dont have the slightest clue what to do with them haha.

do i just leave them floating in the tank?
how do they help if theyre dead leaves?
do they decay in the water?
how long should i leave them in?
should i change leaves when i change water?
should i let the water change colors again before putting Antione back in?
is there a maximum time i should allow them to be in there?
how do they help?
can i just keep them sitting in a box in my room before i use them?
do i need to rinse them before putting in my tank?
should i put more than one in my tank? (5.5 gal)
is this too many questions? haha

sorry if i seem like a total beginner... but i am i dont have the slightest clue about these leaves but shipping takes about a week and im already afraid for my little guys life... so any questions you can answer would be helpful :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes just put them in the water. If you want you can google IAL tea and you can make that for your bettas.

They help by releasing tannins in the water, they make the fish feel secure in the dark brown/gold water and they are known to help relieve stress, promote better health, naturally fight bacteria, and provide a breeding ground for weird little creature that your betta will either eat or they will help with the beneficial bacteria in your tank.

I let mine decompose sometimes. Sometimes they grow a fungus though so I take em out, re-dry them (I've noted this works up to 5 times) and then back in they go!

I don't change leaves since my tanks are dark with the extract so they last quite a few water changes before new leaves are necessary.

#3 ·
I just put them in the tank. They will float for a few days and then gradually sink. when the leaf sinks enough for the betta to swim onto it, sometimes i find them resting there.
I leave the leaf in into it gets all slimy and feels like its going to fall apart - 2/3 weeks??

I kept mine in the bag they came in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.