Betta Fish Forum banner

Gravel Siphon recommendations?

960 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  copperarabian 
#1 ·
I bought a gravel siphon last night to use with my 5 gallon tank (whenever it gets here, waiting is hard!) but I think it might be overkill :question:

I bought the small size of this:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754084

Is that too big?

What does everyone else use? Any assistance would be most appreciated :love:

#2 ·
You should be alright. Its hard to tall what the tube is. I bought the cheapest, smallest tube siphon I could find at Petsmart. The orginal one I had I accidently siphoned the Betta through the funnel and tube into the bucket. He was alright but scared me pretty good.

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I liked the idea of the mini petsmart brand so I went ahead and bought it on clearance this afternoon. I used it to drain a 6 gallon tank that I'm trying to fix and it worked quite well if a little slowly. I think the Marina siphon I bought will do the job quicker on the 6 gallon, but this mini-one should be pretty fabu for getting into the corners of the Hex.

Brilliant! :-D

Never thought of that. Fabulous idea. I'll do that for sure if I find it's too big.

Thanks again for putting up with my newbishnessness :oops:

#6 ·
Just want to add even though my response it late, I am a big fan of the biorb siphon/gravel vacs. They have a hand pump so you don't have to disturb the fish by pumping it up and down, or suck on the end. Works great for smaller tanks and is pretty fast in removing water.

#7 ·
Thanks for the tip, lessandler! I don't think I've seen those around here but I'll keep my eyes open for them :)

I also wanted to mention that I ended up returning the Marina. Although I'm sure it'd do the job much quicker, a smaller siphon like the mini topfin will give me more time to suck up things properly.

I also saw OFL's super cool homemade one using chopsticks and tubing. What a great idea. Looks like something that'd be handy for QT tanks and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.