Betta Fish Forum banner

Divide in 2? or divide in 3?

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Phoxly 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm at a dilema here, whether I want to divide my new 10 gallon planted tank into 2, or should I go 3?

I originally bought the tank for just one betta, but decided I was selling myself short considering people often keep them in just 2.5 gallons, I could do so much more with the tank.

So I bought one divider, 3 Java Fern, 3 Scarlet Ludwigia, and some fancy seashells I've had for years.

Now I can't decide if I want to divide into 2, or go for 3. I'd like to have an oto cat bottom feeder and a snail in each section, but I can't decide!

If I divide into 2, I'll be able to split my filter down the middle, and if I go into 3rds I'll have to worry about overloading one betta with too much flow. With 2 divides I get more decor on each side, and probably an extra tankmate on each side too, but I already have my first betta sectioned off in his 1/3rd and like how it looks.

But I really want 2 more bettas. My lil Goku (yep... Goku) is really happy, but seems bored all the time, but he's very healthy. I need to decide if I want to divide in 2, or divide in 3 before I go out and buy the finishing hard decor.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would divide in two- simply because you could split a filter down the middle and there would be more room for the bettas. Bettas with more room are happier bettas!
Just make sure, before you put your new betta in with Goku, to quarantine him for a few weeks, so Goku doesn't pick up any illnesses he has.

#5 ·
I'll see what I can do. Man dividing in 3 is so tempting though D: I see the 4 way divided ones on youtube and they look pretty fancy (not planted of course) >__< I'll see how it goes.

#6 ·
Sea Shells are a no-no -
google it
I found this
"Unfortunately, unless the seashells are plastic or fake aquarium decoration. Natural seashells can be harmful to bettas. Because seashells slowly leach calcium and minerals into the water causing it to be very hard and high in minerals"

I like your tank-looking good-!

#7 ·
Ahhh I just can't win for losing.. I guess I'll attach the java ferns to whatever I get for a cave for him tomorrow.

Now I am tossing around the idea of just going full community tank and no divider. We'll see. SO MANY OPTIONS .___. Going to Petco and seeing so many pretty halfmoons didn't help either lol.

I've also concluded Goku is not very agressive. If I put a finger up the glass he darts backwards, swims around a sec to investigate, and then swims away. He's only flared 2-3 times at me, but he's very interested in his reflection.

#10 ·
Woot Goku bubble nested for the first time since I removed his dead amazon sword leaves that were floating on the top of the tank. :D AND HE FLARES WHEN I GET CLOSE TO IT! :D Yay Goku!

#11 ·
I'm no expert on this but you have cycled the tank and are testing the water parameters regularly right? If not there are many threads on here for that, it takes 30 or so days fishless cycle.
I use terracota pots for my caves, Just be sure to plug the hole in the bottom with a stone and some aquarium sealant so fishie doesn't get his head stuck . I boil and soak mine first in conditioned water :)
I learned all this and more at this forum-love it!

#12 ·
Yeah the tank is cycled and everything, I test the water weekly at the local pet store. Something I am concerned about is if taking the water and going to the pet store with it makes it change any, like lose acidic readings or anything like that. My readings seem really... normal?

The tank is 3 weeks old and it has "good" readings according to petsmart. (Done going there lol, I'll see what petco says from now on, they have some smart people there)

#13 ·
If you divide into 3rds, the middle Betta may get stressed out more than the other two. He will have opponents on both sides of him that he believes he needs to protect his home from. Some do fine, but one of mine ended up listless at the bottom until I made the tanks only 2 Betta each. You can try 3, but be prepared to get another tank for the 3rd if things go down hill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.