Betta Fish Forum banner

Live Plants to cycle

815 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  FishyFishy89 
#1 ·
With the recent ammonia spike event in Spike's tank I maybe losing him tonight.
Should I or should I not lose him tonight, could I put in some sort of plants to help cycle the tank?
My local PetsMart has:
hornwort
moss balls
wisteria
anacharis
and moneywort

5.5 gallon with fluorescent bulb/filter/heater

#2 ·
During the fish in cycle, you have to do water changes to keep the ammonia level down to almost nothing... It'll slow down the cycle, but it will keep your fish safe. Weekly water changes, sometimes biweekly are best. Since it is a 5 gallon with what I am presuming is only one betta, you need to do a 50 percent water change once a week.

#6 ·
do you know how long it may take him to recover from ammonia?
i think i see him swimming just a bit more now. But his fins are still held close.

#7 ·
I have no idea sorry :( never had a fish with ammonia problems, I think having plants really help reduce the risk down dramatically. you can buy any of those plants you listed for your tank. All should grow well without being planted in the substrate.

#9 ·
it is one of the larger kritter keepers filled up half way.
I moved the heater from his bigger tank to it. I was able to set it to a lower setting to keep his water stable.
My water change schedule was 30% every week/50% monthly with vacuum.

#10 ·
Okay, that set up sounds fine.

As for your cycling tank... Have you made sure to leave the filtermedia alone/ not replace it? How long has it been cycling, and have you started to see a spike in nitrite yet? I personally would do a 50% weekly, but only do it with the gravel vac if you see him clamping a little or if you see the ammonia start to spike.

#11 ·
I have not replaced the media. Every water change I'd give it a swish/rinse in old tank water.
I did the vacuum because he gets fed frozen brine shrimp once a week(in case he misses any)/to pick up the poos.

#13 ·
i need to get it planted
i really hope i can soon
how long can they go without fert?
I've been thinking about getting some wisteria/floating it.

#14 ·
Why does everyone float wisteria lol?

Unless you have a plant light, plants won't do much and they still need nutrients and light to grow. Also, plants won't do very good for a week or more while they get use to the new environment. So unless you use floating plants, live plants won't help immediately.

If you want live plants that will help most, duckweed, ancharis, hornwort (messy though), and guppy/naja grass.

#15 ·
whats wrong with floating them?
I'm wanting to float them because I change decor around once a month/don't want to tie them to decor that may get switched out.
I thought plants like wisteria were great for eating up ammonia?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.