Betta Fish Forum banner

Never see them eat

471 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TraceysBabies 
#1 ·
Latest batch of babies are 4-5 days old. I put microworms in the tank but I never see them eat any. Maybe they do it when I am not looking. The tank has been cycled for months and has a very strong java moss plant in it. Undoubtedly full of microscopic things that they could nibble on as well as the microworms. Question is: how do I know they are eating the micro worms. All I can say is that over time the microworms do see more sparse at the bottom of the tank so I add more. Not sure if they are eaten or just dispersed. Fish seen really quick and happy.

#2 ·
If they are eating anything the fry should have visibly full stomachs. I can tell when my fry have been eating infusoria/microworms because their stomachs are rounded and usually look white.

Have you been siphoning out the microworms the fry don't eat? This is often recommended by breeders as it is thought there is a connection between decaying microworms and missing ventrals.

#3 ·
You know what they are eating...just wouldn't do it around me before. This morning I put some worms in and the fish near the worms went for it. They will be a week old Friday so hopefully I see more and more of that. At the moment I dont really see too many uneaten ones at the bottom of the tank by the end of the day. There are some but they are alive and swimming so I just don't keep feeding. Once I dont see any moving worms I put a little more in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.