Betta Fish Forum banner

DTHM Male & HM Female

755 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hrutan 
#1 ·
So a few days ago my betta's mated but the dad kind of looked stupid and didnt know what to do about the eggs.. He evetually ended up eating them.. Think he is to young? I got him at petco almost a month ago

#2 ·
sometimes they will just eat the eggs, its very annoying, and cant always be fixed.
sometimes they weren't fertilized, so he ate them witch is normal.
breed him again after re-conditioning him and her, and see what happens...unfortunately you may have bought an egg eater...lol

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you want to create a line then invest your time and money into good parents and a good setup.
To answer your question some reasons he would eat the eggs include (eggs not fertilized properly) (father too inexperienced) (father doesn't want to raise the fry) (father thinks environment isn't good enough to raise fry in) (father wasn't conditioned right) (father is hungry) ect

#5 ·
I did move this thread over to Betta Breeding as it is NOT regarding a current spawn in process and you are asking questions about your young male.

Feel free to post again in the Spawn area once you have a successful spawn. Keep trying.

I will also be editing some of the posts in this thread.
Please just let us know if you see something in the wrong place and not comment in the thread as it causes upset and a lot of extra work. Thanks.

#6 ·
It is fairly common for a male to eat the eggs from his first spawn, usually due to fertilization issues. Many breeders use a "3 strikes and you're out" rule, because once or twice can be him fumbling around, 3 times and he probably won't get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.