Betta Fish Forum banner

Is it too early?

424 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  hrutan 
#1 ·
I received a pair of HMPKs yesterday and put them in a heated tub (each in their own container). I've let them flare several times a day for short periods of time yesterday and today, as well as starting them on bloodworms. This evening, I realized they both had made small nests. I've heard that this only occurs when the female is about to drop her eggs unfertilized. Is that true? And does that mean I can try them in the spawning tank? I was planning on conditioning them for at least a week, but if their ready now, then I don't want to lose the spawn.

#2 ·
If they are healthy and interested, they'll spawn. "Conditioning" is fattening up fish that aren't in breeding condition, and quite frankly is unnecessary if your fish are well-cared for in the first place. They do need feeding up and TLC after the spawn, however, and you probably don't want to breed either for a couple of weeks once they are out of the tank.

#3 ·
Alrighty, I might move them on into the spawn tank and go from there. They are very interested in each other, of course building nests and the female is making the "S" like shape showing off at him. I can't really tell if she has any vertical barring as she is mostly white on her body so that's out. So excited about this pair! Thanks hrutan :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.