Betta Fish Forum banner

UV? Boiling? Baking? Canning Salt? High Temp?

451 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mermaid77 
#1 ·
What is the best way to clean everything in a tank?? Can I use all of these methods? Will an infected plated tank just be okay over time? How do I know?

#2 ·
Hi...:)
I did happen to read your other thread...and I understand your concern is a possible Mycobacterium Marinum infection...This is not from personal experience, but most of the articles I came across on the net suggest to simply start anew...with everything. Tank, buckets, siphons...everything...
It seems that this bacteria is able to withstand heat (though it will not grow over temps of 37C/99F ),bleach and dry conditions...while others say bleaching can be successful they still claim it's not suggested...very special care must be taken to disinfect every single little thing that was ever in contact with the infected fish...
I know your fish died suddenly (so sorry for your loss :( )...though there is a small chance this might've been the cause...she didn't display all the other telltale signs that are said to go along with it...which again is often the case, but unfortunately, to know for sure would've required a vet to inspect her internal organs....
With that in mind, if there's any way you could maybe have the plant tested by a lab or vet for any existing Myco bacteria, that would probably save you a lot of work and/or expenses if you do decide to chuck it all out....as well as help with your own peace of mind for yourself and your remaining fish...
Please keep your own safety in mind first and foremost!
Best of luck to you...and hopefully, those little beasts were not the culprits...they're an aquarist's worst nightmare...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.