Betta Fish Forum banner

Hey guyss, I have a question...

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Jupiter 
#1 ·
Heyy I haven't been on for a while, but i have a new question about my friends new fish.

Today, me and my friend went to petco to get her a betta. We picked out a beutiful crowntail that has purple, blue, white, and red on him. We got him a half gallon tank and everything he needed, and then when we brought him to her house, we put him in the tank and everything. Now when we watch him swim, he swims like theres a current in the tank (which there isnt) and he floats to the top when he stays still, and floats backwards.... I dont know if he's just not used to swimming in space like this or not? I dont know, but if someone has an answer that'd be great!

Thank youu. :)

#3 ·
Yes, and I dont think they really need to be in tanks that big. I have 2 of mine in 1 gallons and their fine. And she only had a certain amount of money, its really a hassle to have them in big tanks.

#6 ·
Okay then. It not really her fault that she cant afford big tanks, she just wanted a fish its not a big deal, i just want to know if hes okay or not with his swimming.

#8 ·
Okay thanks, i was thinking that since he must of been in that little cup at the store for a while, maybe he might not know how to swim in a big space, i dont know, i'll see how he is in a few days. Thanks again.

#9 ·
And also he has alot of space in his tank, its not small, not like 1/4 of a gallon or anything its a half and he has one plant and gravel and some shells, he has enough room to swim around, and of course we added salt and conditioner so hes all set. His water was also a good temp, probably like 78 or so. Once he gets bigger, she has another big tank, but its old, ill have her use that one. Its around 2 gallons.

#10 ·
Have your or your friend looked into 'Kritter Keepers'? The medium size is $8-$10, around 2.5 gallons, light and easy to carry for WCs, are very space-efficient, come with a nice, convenient lid with a little door in the top for feeding, and can be safely heated :) Wonderful little inventions, I have two of them.

But a question....if she has another tank...why not clean it and set it up now? I doubt her betta is really going to 'grow'....pet store bettas are generally already a year or so old, they really don't have any more growing to do ;)

#12 ·
I doubt her betta is really going to 'grow'....pet store bettas are generally already a year or so old, they really don't have any more growing to do ;)
Really??? Thats not good. Is it because they way they are bread? Or the fact their stuck in that cup for so long? I got a new guy couple of days ago and he's like an inch and a half. I really hope he grows more. :)

Anyways, sorry that caught my attention. My new betta, Midas, he did the same thing when i bought him. And he's still doing it, well kind of. He's doing much better. Its been about 5 days.

#13 ·
Generally by the time bettas hit the pet store, they're 'fully grown'. Fish never really stop growing, they lack the hormone to do so, but their growth rate slows down at a certain point and they don't really 'grow' anymore. You may see a slight difference 6 months or even a year down the road in size, but what I mean by my comment is the fish isn't going to just suddenly grow and need the bigger tank later....it would be better to put it in the larger tank sooner. ;)

The age and size thing is due to the fact that a bettas true color and finage doesn't really develop until about six months of age so they usually don't put them on the market because the younger they are, the less 'flashy' they are. At least, thats what I've read.

#14 · (Edited)
As others said, I'd get her to go with the bigger critter keeper or get that fish into the bigger tank. No one wants to change water 4 times a week. Most people are not that diligent and it's the fish who will suffer. I get that she's not well off but she did buy the fish after all. Sometimes taking care of pets is a big responsibility. A half gallon is too small for any fish.

#15 · (Edited)
I have no idea what could be going on with him since I don't own a betta yet. =/ sorryz . <=/

I do think that she should use the bigger tank though. =] I mean if it's available why not use it? It's much better than the small tank for these reasons:
1) The betta has more room to live and swim
2) Less water changes
3) More room to display her betta
4) Betta will be happier
5) She can actually DESIGN and decorate a tank! =] (It must be difficult fitting decorations into a 1/4 gallon.)
6) She doesn't have to pay for it <---- BIG REAASON! =]
7) If it's big enough (5 gallon) then she can divide it (using either a bought divider or going the DIY route using a tutorial I can supply the link to) and then she can have 2 betta or she can leave the tank undivided and get a tankmate or 2 for her betta! =] like 2 African Dwarf Frogs or a molly or a corycatfish! =]
8 ) If it's at least a 2.5 gallon or a 3 gallon she can cycle it! =] Which mean even less water changes than the already lessened amount from simply having a bigger tank!

I hope things go well with her fish and that it lives a long happy life! =]

#16 ·
Like ohers have said, the betta won't be growing any more, so it might as well go in the 2 gallon. If anything, if it were to grow, it wouldn't be able to in a .5 gallon. Kepping fish in smaller tanks stunts their growth.

The betta will be much happier and healthier in the 2 gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.