Betta Fish Forum banner

OAK leaves

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Littlebittyfish 
#1 ·
I have IAL right now..But I only have a few leaves left...I have heard on here about how oak leaves can be used as well...Is there a certain type of oak leaf? Or will any type of oak leaf do?

#2 ·
OLF and I chatted about this.

Apparently any oak tree leaves are fine (no poison oak though!). They should be free of pesticide and other contamination... collect them in the autumn.

In a pinch, DECAF green tea can be used as a substitute for IOL and native oak leaves...

#3 ·
Not sure of the oak leaves. If you can get a hold of Rooibos tea it will work as well. It releases tannins and various other goodies in the water. Also its a caffeine free tea so VERY healthy and safe. I know of various breeders in South Africa that uses it. Found out today that if you add a little at each water change it will also help with algae!

#7 ·
I know I use red oak leaves that I found in my yard. they had fallen from my neighbors tree and had dried out over the fall and winter. :) they smell devine when you use them btw. I've used them I think 3 times now? I was smart and got a small box of them before the rains set in and all the bugs came out. Its amazing what nature gives us free instead of buying meds froms tores

#8 ·
I use a mix of Alder, Oak and Indian Almond leaves in a few of my tanks. So far I've run into no problems, although I've found that Oak leaves tend not to stain the water as much as the Indian Almond leaves. However, they do seem to last longer before breaking down, and they're free if you live near an Oak tree.

Because they take a while to sink, I usually brew up a tea (just pour boiling water over some leaves) and let it sit out overnight. They should sink fairly quickly (if not immediately) after being put into the tank, and you can use the tannin-rich water left behind during water changes. I just store mine in a jug in my wardrobe and my Wild bettas and Killifish love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.