Betta Fish Forum banner

Petsmart Halfmoons

4K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  bahamut285 
#1 ·
I went to my local Petsmart today to see if they had gotten in dragons and halfmoons. The halfmoons that they had there were really pretty with some interesting colors. They were in pretty good shape as well. When I grabbed one to look at him I thought I saw a second little fish peeking at me. Turns out there was a tiny blue marble in there with almost no fins anymore. Unfortunately I couldn't buy them because I don't have the room but the adorable blue marble halfmoon is now in his own cup and hopefully will have a good home soon.

#5 ·
I think it's a new national thing they are pushing. The plakat dragons and HMs they have at the place I went to looked incredibly healthy. Very interactive too.

I saw some mustard gas HMs, butterflies, marbles, dalmations, cellophanes and cambodian.

As far as dragons I actually saw some full masked whites, a black copper, a cambodian, an electric blue with crimson finnage and some mixed blue greens. They were all flaring and following me.

Also I noticed that they are now (at least this Petsmart) not cupping their females. I found all the females in a large sorority tank, about 20+. They were being housed with some cory cats and looked pretty happy together.

So yeah, a good selection and pretty healthy fish at the one I went to. Even the VTs and CTs looked nice.

#45 ·
I think it's a new national thing they are pushing. The plakat dragons and HMs they have at the place I went to looked incredibly healthy. Very interactive too.
Interesting! I will go check this out at some point...I can never keep away from Petsmart anyway XD

Also I noticed that they are now (at least this Petsmart) not cupping their females. I found all the females in a large sorority tank, about 20+. They were being housed with some cory cats and looked pretty happy together.
I saw this the other day at my petsmart but with not-so nice results. Their tanks are usually just above 20G in size, but there were 4 females and a bunch of cory cats. All the females looked TERRIBLE. I thought they were giant zebra danios at first judging from the stress stripes X_X

#7 ·
That is incredible. Poor little guy though.

(fights down 'must go to petsmart' urges.)

#8 ·
I never see anything but gross skinny looking vieltails and baby crowntails at mine. and the girls are like mostly white... eh.

They are skinny. I found out they're like "ooh, bloodworms go a long way! lets do this! they eat them way faster!" and I'm like "OOOHHH NOOOO"
so then they're like bloodworm addicted and I have to super crush the pellets... >>

#11 ·
Hey anyone know how much they are? The Petsmart HM's?

#16 ·
I went to a few today to get a feeling for selection. I went to one right as they were opening the stock boxes so your Petsmart might finish stocking tonight.

They're being smart and using colored cup lids to tell them apart. CTs and VTs have white lids, dragon plakats have blue and HMs have red/pink.

That said did see the downside of getting cheap dragons. Some had full scaling over one of their eyes, which blinds them. However out of 3 stores I only saw 4 bettas with this, and it was only a problem on the full masks (though there were some full masks with no scaled eyes). Everyone else looked pretty solid, about 4 mos old with lots of baby attitude, none had clamped fins.

#15 ·
Dang...That's not too bad considering that my Petco HM was 15.

#17 ·
I saw they stocked the shelf the girl told me she was going to put the halfmoons/dragons on. It was full of v/ts though - but you may be right about them finishing up this afternoon. They're closed now.
I'm super excited to get these in as I would die for a dragon right about now! Have been debating getting one off Aquabid. I guess I'll call them this weekend or go again tomorrow.

#19 ·
My BFF is gonna be super happy to know HM's are in her price range despite the warning they could tailbite. She adores HM's and dragons. Affordable HM's and Dragons are even better.

#24 ·
You have to watch out though. Over half the "halfmoons" my petsmart has up right now are deltas and there is no way they'll go HM. Actually most of the HM they had up were pretty crappy, there were 3 that I would have considered buying. The HMPK look nice but I wish they weren't touting them as "dragon scale" since not all of them are dragons, in fact none of the ones at mine were dragons.

#27 ·
WHOA! Your LFS is awesome. (I mean as temp homes that is the best!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.