Betta Fish Forum banner

Fairy Shrimp

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Skyewillow 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever tried these with their bettas? I've read that (most species) are comparable to brine shrimp, but are supposedly easier because they're freshwater.

We would like to try them with our bettas, frogs, and guppies; but I'm hoping to hear some more about them first.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never even heard of them. Do you have a website link or something for information on them!? Sounds interesting I'd like to try them too depending on what I can find out about them

#4 ·
ooh i didnt notice that at first lol

seems like most of them get to be pretty large, but doesnt seem to be bad quality. I say get a trial amount of some of the smaller sized ones you find and see how that goes.

#6 ·
What is the worst that could happen? A fat betta and a lot of missing shrimp? If you'd try I'd surgest a lot of hiding places. I wanted to grow Triops but I hear they're very easy to kill. 0_o

I wanna try shrimp, but I can't do anything else with my 10 gallon now that I got a goldfish. :-(

#7 ·
I bought some eggs some time back and while they are easy enough to hatch, harvest and keep....It was more the cost that turned me off to using them for fry food. It would end up being pretty expensive to use these freshwater fairy shrimp to feed the hundreds of fry I have...lol.....
Then I thought about raising my own and while I do think a home hobbyist could do it-with a little work. Not something I personally want to mess with...too easy to buy brine shrimp eggs and hatch. I wish the eggs would hatch in the tank without the eggs needing to dry out first before they will hatch-that would make it much easier to provide free range nutritious live foods-that won't grow up to bite us or eat the fry....lol.....

#8 ·
I did some more research after I posted last night, and someone DID manage to get their fairy shrimp to lay "summer" eggs (ones that don't have to dry to hatch), but they didn't say what they were doing exactly for that to happen... >_> Someone else had the idea of doing numerous cultures where at least one culture would be drying out at all times, while the others are are eating and laying eggs.

#10 ·
Never heard of them, but they are very cute.
So far as shrimp and goldfish....it can be done. my shrimp in both tanks (one with HUGE goldfish, other with juveile holdfish) live in a Spongebob Pineapple with the door flush against the house. They can swim in and out of the portholes. Hubby just bought a Beatles Yellow Submarine for the same purpose. He loves watching them swim and crawl up stuff. they are WAY too fast for most goldfish as the shrimp mature, even baby comets. I have one Crazy Jack ghost shrimp that terrifies my giant oranda. Funny stuff, they have a real love/hate relationship.

#11 ·
ghost shrimp are completely different than the shrimp I'm asking about, also, I'm asking about them as a food source, not tank mates. lol

#14 ·
It's alright, my brain is pretty fried too, and I had a cookie to celebrate the New Year LOL

I have ghosties too, and I really like the little weirdos. ^_^

Fairies are cute, but my fiance was wondering about them as a food source because he's paranoid about the salt content in Brine Shrimp hurting his fish. And I'm curious about their success as a food source, so I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask.

#15 ·
:)

Obviously, I have never dabbled with feeding live food.

I haven't even succeeded with growing an aquatic plant yet. My goldfish eat those. I have silk in the betta tanks, so eventually I am going to have to attempt something more adventurous.

Sorry I couldn't help, other than providing a chuckle....but that is a bit of a help on some days! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.