Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit Snail!!! (pic heavy)

13K views 76 replies 12 participants last post by  Tricia Strope McChristian 
#1 ·
So, I was at the LPS the other day, just looking (of course), and i was kind of interested in finding a nerite snail. I looked through all the tanks, and couldn't find one. So I asked the employees if I had just missed them, and they said there weren't any in. So I just looked around, kinda bummed, but then i saw the cutest little guy, in the middle of a bunch of ghost shrimp, with THE cutest face, happily nibbling at some rocks that probably had algae on them. Annnd i couldn't resist.

So now i have this little guy! he cracks me up. His name is Darroh and I absolutely adore him.

chilling with Swish

he's the best. and now i want more rabbit snails.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a nice snail. Great find, they can be rare.
Rabbit snails are a great (albeit less known) option for small tanks. They grow and reproduce pretty slowly, and they stay small.

#4 ·
oh he's like 1 1/2 or 2inches. he's really cute.

they had like three i think, at the store.he was $5. since they're rare, i'm kind of tempted to get the rest and breed. they only have like 1 baby at a time. he kind of doesn't do much until the evening though. he was the only one with his face out at the store. i saw the other ones, but i liked him. i really like him x3 as much as Swish and Reuban. I could easily be a snail lady next.

#7 ·
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=97938&highlight=Reuben
My Reuben. :D

I bought one of these today. He just buried into the sand right away. I also read that he'll probably come out at night and murder all my plants that I just planted.
I'm probably going to take him back tomorrow :( I paid too much for those plantlings.

#8 ·
aweeee!!! he's lovely. My Reuban is pretty small still. I hope he really grows when he moves into the 29.

I don't have live plants, and i'm really only planning on floating plants so Darroh isn't really a problem for me. He also mostly just sleeps during the day and climbs and burrows at night looking for fallen food and algae. its super cute. i wish i could take your little guy off your hands!

#11 ·
Decided to keep my guy. Gave him some cucumber, he isn't touching my plants at all so he can stay! (he heard me talking about taking him back lol).
Totally wanna start breeding these guys too, but it seems luck of the draw to get a male and female pair :/
Snail power!!

#12 ·
my snail is hiding x3 i have tried lettuce with him, and he seems to go for it, i want to dry some other veggies, buuuut i only have frozen right now. yay for keeping yours! i cant wait for my big tank to cycle (it feels like its taking forever) so i can put Darroh in there and get more snails. oh and all the other things i want i guess lol. would frozen veggies (thawed obviously) be okay to give to Darroh?

#13 ·
As far as I know there's no harm in thawed veggies.
I'm excited to get more too! Their faces remind me of elephants more than rabbits! They look like they have fat little trunks.
Have you noticed what theyre like underneath? Kinda creepy, my guy has what looks like a hole where the shell rubs on him!

#14 ·
i see like, a big brown circle on the back of his foot thing. i TOTALLY agree they look like elephants though!!! i wonder why their common name wound up rabbit snail? i think i'll thaw some zuchinni or something and try to coax him out from under the bridge. i miss his goobery face x3

#15 ·
I pick my guy and put him on his food and he comes out of his shell quickly. Of course I'm mostly paranoid about my plants since they're finally growing.
I've been thinking about the name rabbit snail too. They reproduce slowly, unlike rabbits, and they don't move fast like rabbits. My only theory is the way they move almost makes them look like they're hopping. :p

#16 ·
i pick Darroh up and move him around a lot too. glad i'm not the only one! I dont have live plants though. That may change eventually but...for now i'm being lame x3 it looked like he "uprooted" one of my fake plants though lol

lol they DO look like they're hopping.

#17 ·
My guy loves burying his face in the sand, just his shell sticking out.
Consider switching to sand, I hear they climb up glass and fall and break their shells on gravel. It doesn't hurt them and the shell grows back, just ugly :D I've only seen my guy on the glass once so far.

#18 ·
oh man, Darroh climbs allll over the glass. also, he likes to suck on gravel xD the big tank has sand, so he'll love it in there. i just am still experimenting with all these things. he hasn't really ever like, fallen, but he slides down a lot.

#19 ·
They seem to have real personalities, for snails at least!
Oh man, if you're like me and like a smooth sand bottom, you will probably be annoyed. I have little snail tracks all over my aquarium sand :p

#22 ·
i totally want more rabbit snails when i move him in the big tank. i will go to my local pet store all the time to see if they have more x3

lol mom saw the slice of zuchinni i had thawing on the table and threw it away. then kinda chuckled when i asked where it was and was like OH LOL xD gonna have to teach everyone about snail food x3

#23 ·
It'd be so cool if they bred!
Haha, my parents don't even question me when I start doing odd things anymore. After I tried explaining the nitrogen cycle, they just gave up on trying to figure out why I do what I do xD

#25 ·
Today my mom was trying to figure out when I got a third betta (like a month ago). I kept telling her I showed him to her and told her he was sick.. She's convinced my newest one is the one I got for my birthday back in January.
They also make fun of the fact that my 15 gallon is only shared by two male betta. The store hasn't shipped in the fish I want yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.