Betta Fish Forum banner

Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

234K views 307 replies 203 participants last post by  NucleoWolf 
#1 · (Edited)
Since most filters require a filter baffle to work for bettas, I figured I'd show a step-by-step tutorial on how to build one from an ordinary water bottle. Make sure that the bottle is clean and contained only water prior to using. Rinse in HOT water, but never bleach or use soap that could be absorbed by the plastic.

Step 1: You will need a water bottle, as shown below, scissors, and a piece of tape. Pretty simple right ;-).

Sky Wood

Step2: Measure the approximate area of your filter outflow so you know how long the baffle will need to be cut.

Glass Plastic Transparent material Transparency

Step 3: Measure the amount of water bottle that you will need to cut. Note, do NOT use marker to mark your bottle unless you are certain to cut any marked areas off. I used sharpie just for the purpose of making it easy to see in pictures. A small slit in the plastic is the easiest way to mark the bottle.

Plastic bottle Bottle Water bottle

Step 4: Cut both ends off of the bottle so that you are left with the middle piece that you marked off.

Water Plastic bottle Product Water bottle Bottle

Metal

Step 5: Now you will need to cut the remaining ring lengthwise

Musical instrument

Finger Hand Thumb Transparent material

Step 6: Stretch one end of the curved plastic over the bottom lip of the outflow area, and tape the other end to the cover to keep it in place. Now when the water flows out it will hit the plastic and be redirected to the sides with much less force. Now plug your filter in and watch as you now have no surface current, but still have a filtered tank :).

Transparency Glass Transparent material Plastic

Finger Transparency Cable

See less See more
#281 ·
This thread is AWESOME. I figured I would contribute too. This is my construction based on some of the ideas posted here.

The filter came with a plastic baffle with the same purpose as the water bottle trick, but my fish hated the flow. She's had still water all her life. I don't blame her. So I ran with the foam idea and found this particular foam at the petstore. API Filstar XP Filtration 30ppi. It comes in a big box with two big thin pieces that can easily be cut up with scissors to fit over my output. It was ~$11 BUT it will last me for possibly a year since it doesn't need to be changed often and I use little pieces. It works like a DREAM. It has much smaller holes than those I've seen used on this thread. It was the least porous out of the filter foams they had, which I thought would be the best thing for her. I secured it with a new hair tie of mine. The flow is very light. I see particles drifting in slow motion, but my betta isn't disturbed in the least.

I also put a piece BEHIND the filter, between it and the wall because bettas are "curious to a fault" and last night she decided to get stuck behind it. Meh. She's fine. I was watching when she did it. But she can't do it again!!!

I had been debating to even use her filter until I discovered that her heater wasn't equally heating the whole 3.5 gallon tank. It created a hot pocket, which could put her in shock. Instead of shelling out the money for a air pump system, I looked on here to find a good baffling trick. Now her water has even temperature all around. Thank you friends!

#282 ·
If you don't change the filter foam at all -- ever -- it will last forever AND, as a bonus, your tank will execute the nitrogen cycle and provide the best possible water quality for your fish.

All you have to do is change 50% of the water whenever ammonia or nitrite reads >0.50 on the API water quality test kit: Amazon.com : API Freshwater Master Test Kit : Aquarium Test Kits : Pet Supplies

To detoxify ammonia and keep the water safe, dose Prime water conditioner @2-drops/gal of tank size with every water change and 1-drop/gal of tank size per day until the tank is cycled. It's really is just that easy.

#284 ·
http://www.amazon.ca/Elite-Underwater-Mini-Filter-Listed/dp/B0009YD7D4 this is the filter I have in my 5.5g. On it's lowest setting it's still creating a whirlpool. Sponge baffle failed, choked it and became gross quickly. Intake is on the bottom and side under the green flow switch on the side.

I've grown tired of using a large rock leaned against it to kill the current, and since I changed to glass rocks in my tank it's not as easy to do. I plan to eventually divide the tank, so something removable is needed.

So please.. Baffle me? Pimp my filter? Help?

#285 ·
What should I do if the problem with my filter is also the intake tube at the bottom? I already have filter foam wrapped in a softer filter media rubber banded to the tube to obstruct the flow, but it's still kind of strong.

#288 ·
Interesting... I ended up making a baffle of a sort from a flex tank divider (the kind with holes in it, and actually it reaches down about 2" in the water around the filter, and is affixed to the sides of the tank, around the filter (in a corner of the tank), this breaks the flow of the water pretty much, and it seems to satisfy the betta. This is in a five gallon tank (Aqueon Cue), but their "minibow" filter could not keep the water clean, so I went to a API Superclean 5-20, but the flow was much too strong, even at the lowest setting.

#289 ·
Ok, that was the first version of the solution. Inspired by the information on this thread, I found an even better solution, using the same material, the perforated plastic of a tank divider (Aqualife tank divider from Penn Plax), I cut two sections, one 4" x 2" and one 4" x 4" and in both of them I cut a slit to fit it around the downspout of the filter. The large on curls upward at right angles to the flow direction, and the water tended to flow under it, defeating the purpose, but the smaller one is mounted above the first one, and curls upward sideways, so it directs the water to the middle of the larger one. It sounds harder than it is, and now I have a gentle drip that does not bother the betta, but still have the benefit of superior quality filtration.

#291 ·
That long tube is a "spraybar." It should have a series of small holes along its length to disperse the outflow -- they should be pointed up and towards the back wall.

If it doesn't have holes, you can drill or melt (with a hot nail) a series of holes. Blocking off the end of the tube will force water out of those holes.

alexa: Baffle material doesn't leech anything to worry about.

#293 · (Edited)
#295 ·
That seems like a brilliant suggestion to me... some sponge like material might do very well to just break the flow, and convert it to a drip... try and see how it works. Eventually you're going to get some algae growth on all of these, so from time to time you might need to clean them.

#296 ·
Ok, inspired by some of the ideas on this list, I improved on my filter baffle for my API 5-20 Superclean filter... I still have the two pieces of perforated plastic, but within it I've mounted a piece of scotchbrite, which really breaks the flow of the water, so by now it is an absolutely gentle flow, that could not possibly bother uncle betta.

#299 ·
Sponge baffle

I had some left over sponge from a Fluval Nano Filter that I utilized with elastic band...works like a charm and provides beneficial bacteria as well.
No sharp edges to tear fins or place to hide in the current as well.
I placed a piece of sponge from Fluval specifically to cover the intake tube of the AquaClear 20 HOB filter. Now I can switch filter to maximum flow and not worry about fast moving water.

I know Larry appreciates it as he's now swimming in places he was never able to go before.

Cheers

Attachments

#302 ·
I was asked to add my suggestion here!
I am new to fish keeping, and I am trying to cycle my first ever tank (5gal) for my future betta friend.

I got one filter that was very noisy and I hated it, so I returned it and bought a new filter that was listed for use in a 10gal tank. It REALLY blew that water with force! It was like a garden hose.

I didn't like the water bottle baffle idea, so I came up with a new idea loosely based on my physics knowledge this year.

[DISCLAIMER: This will probably have both disastrous and hilarious results if you try this with an above-water filter ... think a spraying water park!]

My method:
1- Get a small plastic baggie or sandwich baggie.
2- Cut the top off so it is a good size and you don't have to fiddle with the zipper if it has one. Mine was about 3 inches tall when I cut it.
3- Poke a zillion holes in it with a needle. I mean a zillion!! You want as many tiny holes as possible to reduce the pressure from the water and diffuse the flow so it disturbs the tranquil tank as little as possible for poor betta.
4- Wrap the bag around the head of a filter and secure it in place with a rubber band.
5- Place the filter in the water and turn it on and see how the water is flowing.
6- You should be able to compress the bag with a moderate effort and it should re-expand slowly - maybe 5 seconds or so. I am not sure if this is perfect, but my goal is not to over-stress the water filter by holding it back too much.
7- Keep poking holes in the bag with the needle. If there is a spot without a hole, POKE MORE!! This is a pretty fun activity. I did it until the water sort of oozed out like sweat from pores of the skin. This way I avoid a water-park disaster if my tank water level gets too low, and I think that the filter won't be too stressed if this is your result.

Here are some pictures:

and

#304 ·
Thank you soooooooooo much! I bought my tank equipment a few days ago, and placed my Betta in the day after once everything was prepared. The filter outlet was so strong I was considering getting a new filter. But as a student I don't have any extra funds kicking around BUT I do have a water bottle haha!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.