Betta Fish Forum banner

cabomba care?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Thunderloon 
#1 ·
I got brand new cabomba plants for my 10 gal tank, but my previous cabomba's were "melting away"
I had a snail and he was eating my plants but then the plants started losing ALL their leaves and literally melting away
My snail had been eaten by my bettas :cry: so i thought it was a good idea to get new cabomba plants.
Is there anything important i should know before this happens again? was it my snail that destroyed my plants?
PS. i was told these are really easy plants to have....

#2 ·
I was told the same thing (about them being easy plants to keep) and so far they seem okay, though some of the 'leaves' have fallen off and they seem to have a tendency to gather algae webs on them.

pewpewpew mentioned something about the tank needing to be kept cooler than 77 degrees for them to be kept. Hopefully she'll hop in on this. :)

#4 ·
Yes, cabomba does not fare well in temps over (and sometimes even at*) 77'F. That would explain the melting away. I personally find it to be a rather frail plant, which will drop its nettle like things when its high standards arent met. Booo.

Some say that it can live in up to 82', but I disagree IMO/E :c

It also really really likes cO2 injections and needs high high light and pristine water, which is hard when/if the tank isnt cycled.

I think Limnophila sessiliflora (forgot the layterm...crap) is a better plant which needs less light :c I think its hard to get, though.

#5 ·
I have cabomba furcata in my 10 gallon...My tank is very low maintaince..No co2... I occasionally dose a fertilizer though.My tank stays around 79 degrees.. My one cabomba furcata stem is now almost 2 feet long...it was only about 10 inches when i got it...:shock: I was pretty surprised at this because I have heard this is a hard plant to keep alive...and knowing me..I cant even keep anacharis alive..or hornwort...I have somehow managed to keep this plant alive...I am not sure what I am doing right though..:lol:

#7 ·
DIRT or they will die at some point.

I've got one in a ten gallon that is almost two feet "tall" with growth on the top six inches. Funny looking. At some point I'll cut it off and bury the cut end in the dirt again.

When you get plants like cabomba home, cut them under water right before planting them or they'll grow wrong or just plain die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.