Betta Fish Forum banner

Pothos/ Devil's Ivy

24K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  sampaul 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have a HUGE pothos, also known as Devil's ivy, plant in my house. Its a very common house plant and this is what it looks like in case you arent familiar with the name.

I know that cuttings can grow roots in water. Ive done a bit of research and many people use it for their aquariums but the verdicts not completely out yet. This plant is supposed to be great for sucking up nitrates and ammonia since it grows so fast and some people have even reported success at growing it submerged. I though that was cool as I want to maintain good water quality since my tank doesnt have a filter. I have come across sites where people keep this plant in their betta, community and even goldfish tanks with no problem. Anyways, I was thinking of maybe putting a cutting in my tank and see how it goes. I do have a java fern that is doing wonderfully and am planning on buying more aquatic plants. But I think this would make a nice addition. Has anyone else done this and can vouch that it's safe? The plant IS listed as toxic to cats, dogs, and humans. However, some people feed it to their reptiles and other animals with absolutely no problems. Here's a pic of someone's betta with a pothos tank (Yes I know that tank is small, mine is similar but bigger than that). What do you guys think?

See less See more
#31 ·
I have a piece sticking out of my 10 gallon that is doing quite well. The plant is much happier there than it was in the pot (I bought it on sale from work because it was half dead).

Everyone I've ever asked has said do NOT put the leaves under water. Eventually they will begin to rot. A breeder in my group is big into plants as well as fish and has a huge pothos growing out of a 10 (maybe 20 long) fry tank. The roots are huge and so is the plant. I don't think he has bettas in that tank though... endlers I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.