Betta Fish Forum banner

im so exicited! divided tank questions?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  gbose 
#1 · (Edited)
So in a week or two I'm buying the Tetra 10 gallon tank kit for really cheap. I work at a pet store so I get a discount. I wanna put two bettas in there. So what kind of dividers do you guys use? How far above the water surface should it be? Were do you buy them? Also, what kind of heater? What side should I put it in?

#2 ·
Don't be a cheapskate like I tried to be and use mesh from AC Moore. It ended up in my fishies getting beat up and slipping through.

Petsmart sells what I've found to be the best fast-fix option: 10 Gallon Tank Dividers

I had to mess with both of mine a fair bit and cut the stabilizers that come with it to fit in the tank but once they finally got wedged into place they're sturdy, let water pass through them and keep my fishies safe from each other. They also come with metal clips that'll keep it in place too.

If there's a better option out there, I'd love to know too.

#5 ·
Haha ill try! But you'll see. I've broken filter cartiedges putting them I'm. Basically if if can be destoried, I will unintenionally destory it. Haha. So what kinda filter do you use in a divided tank? And what side would you put it in? Or get two small ones for each side?

#6 ·
I've got my 10 gallon divided into three with two dividers. The filter (that came with the tank) is a whisper i10 or something like that. It's on the far right with Jabu-Jabu who doesn't seem to mind it one bit. To him, it's just another bubblenest anchor. I've got the heater in the middle of the tank with Ralis, my DT, so that it spreads the heat evenly to both sides. The far left gets the thermometer with my lil girl fishy, Ruto, so that I know what the temperature is on the extreme left/right of the tank.

So far, they all seem VERY happy in their home as it's set up right now. I can take a picture to show you if you like. :D

#16 ·
I've got my 10 gallon divided into three with two dividers. The filter (that came with the tank) is a whisper i10 or something like that. It's on the far right with Jabu-Jabu who doesn't seem to mind it one bit. To him, it's just another bubblenest anchor. I've got the heater in the middle of the tank with Ralis, my DT, so that it spreads the heat evenly to both sides. The far left gets the thermometer with my lil girl fishy, Ruto, so that I know what the temperature is on the extreme left/right of the tank.

So far, they all seem VERY happy in their home as it's set up right now. I can take a picture to show you if you like. :D
Yes, pictures, please!

#7 ·
If you dont like the pre-fab ones because theyre transparent, opt instead to buy the 50 cent plastic fabric mesh/crochet mesh found in many/most craft stores.

They come in tons of colors and will fit the tank well, though a little cutting is needed. But at 50 cents a pop, thats not a big deal ;)

The darker the color of the mesh, the harder it is to see through it. You can also double them up!

#10 ·
Yep, that is very easy. I've done it with my tanks except I used the $3 postar hangers from Walmart. They are a lot sturdier than the report binders.
In the pic, the black ones are all poster hangers cut to size (you can make 2 dividers from one set of poster hangers) and the blue one is a report binder.

#11 ·
That's exactly what I did! Unfortunately I had something weird happen and lost 2 bettas in my divided 10 gallon (they were 100% happy and healthy and 3 days in my divided 10 and they are both dead :( ). Right now I can't rule out the black plastic mesh or the report clips as the cause (it could be ANYTHING though, so I also can't rule that IN). So just be really careful to rinse everything you put in your new tank!

#14 ·
Technically you could divide it 4 ways, because that would give them 2.5 gallons each, but it would be mostly vertical room and bettas prefer horizontal. Three is the most I would do, and it gives each betta 3.3~ gallons each.

#15 ·
I agree. I think 3 is fine, because it's still 10 gallons :) 4 is too much tho, for the reason cryscat mentioned :) (IMO!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.