Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Not really. As long as you don't pour the water in. Slow water pram changes shouldn't have negative effects on fry.

If your tap water contains chloramine, you can't age the water. You MUST use water conditioner. But if it only contains chlorine, aging the water for at least 24 hours (specially with pumps) should be safe to use. In any case it would be safer to use conditioners for both chlorine and chloramine.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #12 
Sowa

Should I use cycle too for beneficial bacteria?
Sowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #13 
Sowa

Did another pH test it said 7 or 7.5
Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

High or low pH doesn't really matter. As long as it stays stable at that level. My water (new tap water) is about 8. Fluctuations do more harm than anything. This is why dripping water back in helps fry adjust to gradual changes. pH 7 is ideal.

Cycled water has little use for fry. They need frequent water changes which will ruin cycled water. Btw, if I'm not mistaken, it's the media/plants/ornaments inside the tank that carries the bacteria - not the water. Though water may contain it as well, but it isn't enough to help cycle a tank.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:17 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

I agree. Don't try chasing the 'ideal' pH, particularly if you have fry. Fish can usually adapt to a less than ideal pH as long as it is stable. Fry are very sensitive to swings in water conditions. Trying to force the pH up or down with chemicals, and without an understanding of the mechanisms behind it, is most likely going to end in disaster.

One thing I did notice from your original post is when you said:

Quote:
mircoworms and sometimes brine shrimp hatchlings
So does this mean you still feed your fry predominately on microworms if you are only sometimes feeding BBS? At four weeks your fry should be getting more than just microworms. It could very well be that your fry are simply not receiving adequate nutrition to grow and thrive.

I would not bother trying to cycle a grow-out tank. You should be doing enough water changes as part of your regular maintenance to remove any ammonia that builds up.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #16 
Sowa

Yes I mostly feed microworms. What should I be feeding them? More of a mix of BBS and microworms? I'm not really sure how to keep the BBS alive very long TBH. Do they need the airstone on all the time once they've hatched?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

How big are your fry? I only feed microworms for a short time, and then start transitioning to BBS and grindals once my fry are big enough to take them.

As to your question, you should only be feeding freshly hatched BBS as this is when it is at its most nutritious. I believe the more moults they go through (the older the BBS is), the less nutritious they are. Adult brine shrimp have a very low nutritional value unless you enrich them prior to feeding.

Most breeders have two BBS hatcheries running so they have a constant supply of freshly hatched BBS to feed their fry.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #18 
Sowa

Some are getting big, maybe as long as my finger nails (maybe like a cm ish) Some seem to be runty and not much bigger then when they were born. The bigger ones are starting to form full bodies and I can see the fins growing in as well.

Whats the best way to harvest the BBS without getting shells? I tried shining the light at the bottom and using a straw but I feel I'm still getting shells. Also do I need to feed more BBS then microworms? They seem to gulp down the BBS quickly but I don't want to over feed either...
Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #19 
Sowa

Oh I have baby fish food, when will they start to eat that?