Betta Fish Forum banner

I have a Male Betta with 2 male Platies, they nip eachother

13K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Phoxly 
#1 · (Edited)
I went to the pet store and the lady told sold me all three fish out of the same tank, which had male Platies, mickey mouse fish. The Blue Betta I bought were all from the same tank, so I though it would be alright.

I have a 10 gallon tank, with a whisper filter and the temps are between 80-82. I have added Aquarium salt to. Just in-case Bully Betta has fin rot. I do ten percent water changes every 2 days on the ten gallon tank.

My Betta "Bully" sometimes minds his own business, and other times he starts picking on my Mickey Mouse Fish. The Mickey mouse fish for the most part leave the Betta alone. Then the Mickey mouse fish like to nip each other.

I do have to get more then one plant for the tank, which I will get in a few days. I have to wait to I get paid.

I notice my Betta's fins look a little ragged. It doesn't look like fin rot, though I am not sure of that, just looks like his fins.. at the top of his fins, looked chewed on. Then, that could be normal, again I am not sure.

Should I keep the Betta, or take back to the store? I want to keep the Betta but the fish keep nipping each other. What should I do? I do not have another tank and I do not have room for another tank, nor the money.

I have a 5 gallon tank also, with one blue Betta named Charlie, Shark, but he is male and I can't place another male Betta Bully in with him, or someone one die.

I do have a glass bowl but I am not sticking my Betta in there to live.

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you intending to cycle this tank? Cycling the tank with nippy fish is probably not the best thing because the high chemical levels won't be very forgiving for the wounded fins. And you should try getting 2-3 more platy fish so they balance out the nipping and leave the betta alone and stick to their school of 5. If you are cycling, 10% changes every 2 days isn't always required. Instead, test the water every 2 days for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. And then change if they are in the danger zone.

#5 ·
Yes, I am cycling the tank with the fish. You said 2 or 3 platy fish, can they be male, as I only have male fish in my ten gallon. I don't want any babies.

The tank has been cycling for a little over a week, should I get more platy fish, or should I wait a little longer?

I could get female platies, but then I might have a fish baby problem.

I have been adding aquarium salt to the tank and I am doing water changes a lot.

#6 ·
I dont think you will have a baby problem, and if you do, it is likely the other platies who are not the parents will eat the eggs, or you betta will. I have 3 female phantom Tetras, and 1 male, and no eggs yet :D Platies can be schooling fish I think, so if you had about 5 total (odd numbers) and one betta, that should be fine.

Is it the betta who is hostile?

#10 · (Edited)
Ok, the problem is the Betta is attacking my platy fish. So you are saying if I buy 3 more platy fish, then my Betta will stop nipping the platy fish?

Should I take the Betta back to the store, or hope for the best? I do not know what to do. The bowl I have is too small for my Betta.

I have 2 platies, 3 more would make 5 Platies. The platy is nipping the other platy, so if I buy 3 more male platies, then that should stop, the nipping?

Do I have to buy female Platies, or all male platies, ok to have? Just asking.

I do have One male Betta in a 5 gallon and he is male. He is all by himself. The other Betta I have in a ten gallon and is male to. I don't know if the other Betta would be nice to my platies, then again that is a 5 gallon tank, so prob too small I would think.

#14 · (Edited)
I read on many message boards and talked with many Fish experts and they all told me any tank under 5 gallons, is way too small for a Betta. So even though I have the fish bowl I will never use it. I can't even heat it for another thing. And the water quality would suck as I can't stick a filter in a bowl.

Really a Betta should have a Ten gallon. It is the best set up, but 5 gallons is an ok set up for a Betta. Not too bad, but could be better. Just like Glo fish should have a 20 gallon, some people stick Glo fish in a ten gallon. Not that the fish will die, just the best set up is a 20 gallon for Glo fish.

And my weird insane postings come from talking to too many fish experts, who told me for a ten gallon tank, that 2 platies and one Betta is all my tank can handle, or I am over stocking my 10 Gallon, with 4 fish.

I was told take out all the Carbon from my filter and leave it that way, it doesn't hurt anything, unless I wanted to remove medication, if I used some, which I have not so far. I just added Aquarium salt to the fish tanks. I am then to place the white pad inside the filter, without the Carbon.

Also some people told me I don't even need the Carbon to take out medication, that a 25 percent water change will do just that.

I am to rinse my filter pads in tank water, never tap water, as that removes all good bacteria. So I only rinse my sponge, or pad in tank water.

#15 ·
On the platy rules, it is actually best to have one male, to every 2 females. So 2 males and 3 females would be fine, but you already have 3 males.. Maybe get more males lol. Male sorority?

#19 ·
"Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Sunset Coral Dwarf Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females."

I'm not fully sure about taking care of platies, I've never had any, or don't have any yet haha. Ask the tropical fish forum, the sister to bettafish.com?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.