Betta Fish Forum banner

My B-day gift

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 ·
I got my first Betta yesterday for my birthday. He is still in the vase, but looking for a bigger tank. Will try and get better pics of my boy later. I am still undecided on what his name is going to be...but will have one soon. Just came across this forum and thought I'd see what everyone has to say...thanks

See less See more
#11 ·
I have noticed Archimedes already has some fin damage due to the plastic plant...arghhh...will it hurt if I just pulled the plant out and didnt have in the vase. Ihave a 10 gal tank I am goign to set up as soon as I get gravel. So he wont be in the vase much longer.

What is involved with having live plants? I bought the 10 gal starter kit at Wal-Mart, will the filter in it be too strong?

#4 ·
Yeah he is my first Betta, since I joined this site I have named him Archimedes. i love his colors, I have better pics i will post soon. I received a thing of freeze dried blood worms with him, is there anything else I need to feed him or will those be fine?

BettaxFishxCrazy - what kind of plant should I get in place of the one I have? Cause I dont want it to mess his fins up.

Thanks, and if there is anyhtign else I shuld know, just let me know haha

#5 ·
He's going to need a staple diet of pellets, about 2-4 pellets a day. Hikari Bio-Gold or Wardley are good. Bloodworms are a treat for once a week. You should also fast him one day of the week.

For plants, silk plants are the best. The leaves are usually made of a fabic, so they won't tear a betta's fins. If you end up getting a tank with a light, you could also try out live plants, but it's up to you to take that challenge.

And if you get a 5 gallon or higher, it's recommended that you cycle the tank. It makes water changes everyweek easier and is healthier for the betta.

How often are you changing his water in the vase now?

#6 ·
i just got him yesterday, and havent done anything. Last night he was swimming around alot and seems to be happy, specially when the lights are off. I am planning to get a 10 gal tank in the next few days.

I have had other fish before, but never a Betta, so just tryign to find out the secrets to keeping him healthy...thanks

#8 ·
As Creamcookie has said:
For a ten Gallon, you'll need a heater, WEAK filter, as bettas can't swim in strong currents, thermometer, silk plants (or really really soft, round-edge plastic ones like I have) and a hiding spot or two, as well as gravel.
Good luck with him! ;)

Also, if you put in a few drops of bettafix (depending on your tank size) in his aquarium every second day, I find that bettas (my boys, at least) are more active. They also love almond leaves, which are harder to find.

#9 ·
I've only heard negative things about Bettafix, or any Betta___ product, really. I don't remember why, just that they contained something potentially hazardous. Maybe it's just me, but it also seems unnecessary. I mean, isn't Bettafix a medication?

Anyhow, you'll also need a water conditioner to dechlorinate whatever water you're using. I don't think it was mentioned previously, or if you already knew that, but just in case! Clean water and heat are top priority for betta care.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
First of all congratulations on your new betta! I think you will enjoy him a lot. Bettas are very personable and entertaining when they are properly taken care of!

For feeding it is not recommended to feed and freezedried foods as the main source of food. Freezedried foods can very easily cause constipation and swim bladder issues, and should only be used as an occasional snack. Its best to feed a betta specific pellet daily, the best pellet out there is the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. I feed all of my guys about 6 pellets a day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. every 3 days then get a snack of thawed bloodworms, and they are fasted once a week.

You boy will be thrilled with a 10 gallon tank! Wait till you see his personality blossom! I would suspect that the filter that comes with the 10g kit is probably too strong, but try it and see.

As for changing the water simply net your fish into a small container (tupperware or something) filled with water from his vase. Clean the vase well, rinse the gravel and add fresh water, don't forget to add water conditioner!

Good luck and if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask!

I've only heard negative things about Bettafix, or any Betta___ product, really. I don't remember why, just that they contained something potentially hazardous. Maybe it's just me, but it also seems unnecessary. I mean, isn't Bettafix a medication?

Bettafix is simply a weakened form of melafix to make it more "Betta safe" It can be fine in very moderate doses, but too much can kill a betta. I never use it, it makes me nervous.

#13 ·
Cheap plastic plant is out, and he seems to be happier lol..more room to swim in the little vase. I also got him some pellets, and he loves them. Also how should I change his water? It isnt cloudy or anythign but ive had him since saturday and havent doen anything. And i realized its gonna be longer than i planned before he gets his new place, since i got to let it cycle. I know with all my other fish in the past it usually takes about a week, but been reading it can take quite a bit longer for Bettas. Gotta wait to go outa town to a bigger store, none local have anything for bettas...(small towns suck) lol

#17 ·
Zenandra answered it for ya. :) Bettafix and Melafix is one of the controversial medications. I've heard good and bad things about it, but mostly bad things. You should only use medications when your fish is sick. I never use medications unless I really have to because they can have bad reactions to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.