Betta Fish Forum banner

Disinfecting a sick fish tank for new fish.

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  JMeenen 
#1 ·
My beta fish died unfortunately earlier this week of what I'm pretty convinced was Dropsy. :( I'd like to look into getting a new beta some time but I'm worried about how to properly clean the old tank to make sure the disease won't kill any new fish I may add.

I'm going to buy new gravel, a new filter (my old one is on it's last legs), and throw away the live plant. But what about the plastic plants and the log decoration? I've read that you're supposed to use bleach to disinfect a sick tank but isn't the residue left over potentially very harmful to fish...?

#4 ·
heres a great trick for tank cleaning use salt without any Iodine scrub tank thoroughly rinse several times and you are good to go if any residue left over from salt will dissipate after water changes! before your new cycle has completed.

#5 ·
If its bacteria on the live plant that makes you want to throw it away, hold up! You can actually bleach live plants as well; 1 part bleach to 20 parts water for a minute or two and then rinse it off well. I've used this method on newly bought java fern, and those plants lived well and continued to make plant babies for me. Different plants might not be able to handle it, but then again, if you want to throw it out anyway, its worth a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.