Betta Fish Forum banner

black genes

934 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  atteb 
#1 ·
How domiant is the color black when breeding bettas?

I have a male that has 3/4 black on the fins with some solid red very close to the under of the body. I want to breed him to a blue female would any of the fry show the black at all?

#7 ·
I was hoping you'd put up pictures.....

I'm assuming your guy is more of a black lace than a melano (I've never seen a melano combine with red). Either way, your current choice is good - blacks are often combined with blue. Though black is said to be recessive, IMO you will have black babies, though not as much as blue.

#8 ·
I am going to get some pics tomorrow and put them up. I have been looking for a solid white and they are near impossible to come by. I did buy a opaque that shows some solid white in the fins and would like to try him too oneday he is a bit small right now plus he is new and needs to settle in so I will do the black one first. He is very different so I will post pics and maybe you can all help me with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.