Betta Fish Forum banner

New to Bettas- have one want another

946 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kristymae802 
#1 ·
I just got a betta fish a week ago. I am looking into getting another.
I have a few questions!!
Currently my betta is in a one gallon bowl with one silk plant. (he was given to me this way from a lady that works with my dad)
I want a bigger tank for him, and the next betta I get.
Im looking for a couple 5 gallon tanks with filters, lights and tops (the one I have now I keep covered so my cats cant get to him)
I am also going to get thermometers and small heaters. (hydor)
I am going to use the glass beads I think they are the same things used in Mancala games and some more silk plants.
BUT I am not sure about the water for the tanks. I planned on using bottled water like I do now. Do I have to use water conditioners or Cycle the water or anything???

And to keep variety I am going to do pellets every other day and frozen bloodworms every other day switching between the two. I read variety is good to keep from constipation. Is this too much variety?? Also he seems to turn his nose up to pellets sometimes would it be a bad idea to just stick with the bloodworms everyday if the other plan doesnt work???

Thanks guys hope it wasnt too many questions at the same time :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you using drinking bottled water?

If your using a filter, I would suggest cycling.

Is this too much variety? There is never to much. I give mine the pellets, and a variety of frozen foods.

Also, he seems to turn his nose up to pellets sometimes would it be a bad idea to just stick with the bloodworms everyday if the other plan doesnt work? Giving them bloodworms everyday is a bad idea. I would give pellets for five days, one fasting day, and one bloodworm day.

#5 ·
thanks guys its a pretty cool place to get information and talk about bettas.

yes im using bottled drinking water.
is it okay to use water conditioners like the tetra safe i think it is called?? I really wouldnt know what I was doing with the cycling, and I dont have testing strips. It says to add some with a new aquarium or with water changes and I should be all set but I'm not sure.
Thanks again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.